Author Topic: Brocoli?  (Read 2196 times)

undercarriage plan

Brocoli?
« on: August 05, 2005, 21:31:21 »
Not sure where I should be posting this, so will try here.  First success I've had with brocoli this year. I normally plant it, stand back and admire the pretty flower and then think "***** Woman!" Can I freeze it? If so, do I blanche it first? Same with cauliflower? Thanks Lottie  ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Brocoli?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 21:35:00 »
Well My first advice would be yes for 1 minute in boiling water then rinse with cold and then freeze. The blanching kills any air born bacterias that may spoil the crop whilst frozen.

Hope it helps. I will repost If I find out any more I will look in ma book :)

Be kind to slugs and snails!

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 21:36:32 »
This is of the net!

Harvesting and Storing Broccoli
For the best broccoli (all types), begin to harvest before the flowers open. Pick both Broccoli and Calabrese regularly to ensure the heads are at their tastiest and to encourage the formation of side-shoots.

With Calabrese, snap or cut off the heads at the top of the stalk. Broccoli should be cut off around half way down the stalk.

Both Calabrese and Broccoli freeze particularly well. Blanch the spears for about three minutes in salted water, let them cool out of the water for five minutes and freeze them. The less water on them at the time of freezing, the better.

They will store in the fridge for about a week, but they are definitely at their best when harvested and eaten on the same day.

lottie187

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 21:38:57 »
Feel very strange saying this....But Sexy snail you're a star!! Thank you so much!! Spent several seasons pulling up whole plant to harvest!!! ::) But feel a bit silly about that, so don't tell anyone..... :-X Thanks again Lottie

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 21:39:34 »
More Stuff of the net

Select tight, compact, dark-green heads with tender stalks free from woodiness. Wash, Peel stalks and trim. If necessary, to remove insects, soak for 1/2 hour in a solution made of 1 cup salt and 1 gallon cold water. Split lengthwise into pieces so florets are not more than 1 1/2 inches across.

Water blanch 3 minutes or steam blanch 5 minutes. Cool promptly in cold water and drain.

Pack broccoli into containers, leaving no headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

Source: Michigan State Universtiy Extenstion Service.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 21:41:07 »
Some good freezing recipes of the net found here :)

http://snider.mardox.com/oamcrecp.htm

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 21:42:48 »
Sexy snail, I've done it again, long explanation as to daftness of name but lottie is me undercarriage plan ::), too long to explain! But thank you. Lottie

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 21:43:15 »
Ok this is a great link!!

http://gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/freezing.htm

It gives you advice on freezing all types of veges you grow on your lotties!

Last post hope the info helps :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 22:04:27 »
Helps!! You deserve a medal! Thank you so much. Lottie  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 06:21:45 »
VERY surprised at the first advice - 'let cool'. Much against all teachings?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 11:32:03 »
Freeze them warm, you think Tim? If this has worked for you, then that's what I'll do. Novice to this storing business! Thanks Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 11:37:44 »
I think what Tim means is that if you 'let them cool' they carry on cooking for a while until the temparature falls below a certain level, which is why the usual advice with blanching (and doing cold pasta etc) is to plunge them into cold water.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 16:42:55 »
OK thanks Redclanger! Glad you said that cos that's what I've been doing with runners and dwarf beans, phew!! Must admit to getting fed up with all this preparation and stuff, but determined to try and eat own, organic veg through the winter. ;D Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 21:17:33 »
Biggest problem I have is that our chest freezer is - full of frozen food ! I need the 9 cu ft for all the produce, but cant get in there for pizzas, bread, burgers etc. We have enough frozen food to keep the whole street going for six months!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 23:08:27 »
Last year I froze part of the french and runner beans without blanching and found them to be just as good as the blanched ones, soooooooooo, one less processing job to do after harvesting beans for me.

Btw, I understand that blaching is mostly done to slow down the enzymes that age the veggies. I read that unblanched frozen veggies are perfectly safe to eat, this was my main concern.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal