Author Topic: Storing?  (Read 3185 times)

undercarriage plan

Storing?
« on: August 02, 2005, 19:58:43 »
I know I should know this!!! But can anyone give me tips on how to store my veg? Each year about October I have to return to spuermarket and buy horrible, prepackage stuff.   :'( This year I'd like to freeze or however as much as possible, including how to dry chillies!! Can't face going back to 3 day old, Eygtian stuff!!!!! Thanks Lottie  ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Storing?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 20:04:18 »
a cold store helps. those with outbuildings/garages are lucky! i have nowhere to store anything, other than the kitchen. unfortunately.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 20:33:19 »
I remember seeing something (I think on Gardeners World?) about storing loads of carrots by piling them up and covering them in straw and soil.

I will have to see if I can find the info on it.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 20:43:40 »
EmmaLou, that's called a clamp I think, do a google and you'll find some info.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

terrace max

• Hectare
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 20:59:22 »
Just did a Google and one of the first websites that came up was this one! Here's a link to the relevant conversation.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,398.0.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 21:22:57 »
How about a dehydrator - marvellous gadget.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 21:35:24 »
You are all wonderful, thank you so much  :-* Lottie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 23:01:43 »
you can put beetroots in dry sand as well as carrots.  My ma always used to salt runner beans as no fridge in those days  :)  She used to get those great big glass sweet jars  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 23:11:32 »
I know I am a bit late to join this one, but this is what I do with my bits and bobs.....

jams, alsorts - I would rather make 12 different jars, than 12 all the same, so I have things like plum and apple, blackberry and raspberry, strawberry and gooseberry, redcurrant jelly with sloe gin, gooseberry....etc

Chutneys and pickles - again, loads of variety.  I have River Cottage chuts, plum chuts, green tom chuts, goosegog chuts, pickled shallots and pickled gherkins and I will be doing pickled red cabbage. (and may try some of Sveas saurkraut!)

dry things.  Apple rings and thin pear slices dry very very well and are great as a snack or in a cake or rehydrated and used in puds.  Tomatos of course dry well and can be stored dried in an airtight jar or in lovely lovely olive oil.  Chillis dry well - I string mine up and leave some whole as they look great hanging in the kitchen with my garlics and onions, then some I crush and jar for when I need just a pinch.

Freeze!  I will freeze anything, if it doesn't freeze terribly well, it will be just fine in a winter stew/soup/casserole.  I have a shrink wrapper machine, mum got it for me from lidls, so things are looking very organised in the freezer!  I don't blanch, we tend to eat the veg very quickly.  Chillis are just bunged in a tuperware pot as they are picked, and bunged back in the freezer, peas the same.  Beans I either slice, or just top and tail and freeze in what I consider family sized portions.  So far this season I have frozen courgettes, chillis, beans, peas, chard, spinach and lashings of fruit!  I also make dishes and freeze them, like the indian bean dish, soups and chillis sauces.

And of course, you could have a winter crop growing on your plot.  I can pretty much get to the plot a couple of times a week, every week, come rain or shine, 12 months of the year, and pick something.  Cloches and fleece are handy protecting lettuce and slightly more delicate crops.  The greenhouse also proves very very handy for growing things.  Chard, spinach and kale was good for me all winter long, so were sprouts and parsnips.  I am trying to get carrots going so I will have a later harvest of them, but the root crops will do okay in a clamp.  French beans do not need a pollinator so get some going now for a late picking, along with kohl rabi and florence fennel.

Right, stepping of soap box now, and calming down!  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 00:11:45 »
;) Emma Jane where would we be without you, I dread to think :o I have copy pasted this and the above link, thank you. ;)

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 08:30:12 »
"how to store your garden produce" is a good little book.

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 09:17:01 »
Emma,

I'm interested that you freeze chard - how do you freeze the leaves, is it successful ?  I never thought of doing that - it would good for the winter .

cheers,Gail.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:30:54 »
I'm really glad it's not too late to sow Florence fennel as I am in love with the stuff.  I'm glad you say EJ you don't blanch as it's a right faff innit so I'm glad if I've not got to bother.  I dried some whole chillies I grew once but they went mouldy.  Oh well, some you win eh.   Ta for the sage advice  :) 
I came, I saw, I composted

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 12:24:23 »
I too have got "how to store your garden produce" by Piers Warren which is a really useful little book.  :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 00:37:13 »
My chard I do blanch, just briefly, then I squeeze it good and hard to wring out as much liquid as I can.  Then I 'sprinkle' it onto a tray, so the leaves are as seperate as possible, cover with foil, and place in the freezer.  After a couple of hours, once frozen, I tip the loose chard into a tupperware box or bag and that is that.  Loosely frozen chard.  Not as scrumptious as freshly picked chard, but if you want some for a soup, or quiche or you are going to cover it in gravy or sauce, then I think it is perfect.

However........my chard stays in all winter and I harvest it throughout the winter.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 00:42:10 »
for chillis leave on he plant as long as possible, if still have loads, stick straight in the freezer to dry or fridge to store for a few weeks., they shrivle but are still edible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal