Author Topic: personal profiles  (Read 59409 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: personal profiles
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2005, 11:08:32 »
Kitty - been searching for you for days - wanted to say thanks for introducing us to the mini gallery - very interesting - wanted to comment on your own very fresh looking work, but it's gone!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2005, 19:20:50 »
I suppose I'd better introduce myself too, since I've been pottering about the site a few weeks now.

Born 1967 in Derbyshire.  Loved going to help grandad on his allotment and grew marrows every summer for years (except the one where grandad oopsed and gave me a pumpkin by mistake!).

Went to uni in Bristol, then on to postgrad in London, got way too many letters after my name then finally got a job at a NW London hospital as a cancer researcher.  Still there 10 years later.

Met other half in 1997, did everything back to front, buying a house in the Chilterns first a year later and I finally had a garden! Reverse Groundforced it a bit (replaced all the gravel back garden with lawns and a huge flowerbed area) and tried growing marrows and beans in the flowerbeds.  In 2001 a colleague mentioned allotments and I was on the phone in 5 mins and digging five days later. I kept an allotment diary, first just in Word format and then online as my Dad kept wanting to know what I was up to.  It's still going.

Engaged to OH February 2004 (we sort of asked each other!) and married 8 months later after our parents had almost given up hope.  Allotment seriously neglected during the summer as a result - but I'm back now :) though with new hobby - sugar flowers - as I learned while making the cake! Well it's sort-of garden-related!

No kids, one cat (the boss) and a non-gardening hubby. So the daffodil riot that is currently the front garden is all my fault.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2005, 22:29:33 »
Hello Heldi, goodluck if you are trying to trace your birth parents.I was also adopted, after both of my adoptive parents died, I decided to do a search. It was'nt easy, but it paid off in the end. I have a good relationship with my birth mother and a half sister, my birth father died before I traced him, but i am in contact with his brother and .family. :) :) :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2005, 10:29:31 »
Thanks Tim and Cookie for your best wishes.

It has taken me all this time to build up the courage to do this. My adoptive father died a long time ago. My adoptive mother always made it plain that she didn't want me to do it but when my dad died she said that he had said to her that he would have to do it if he were in my shoes. I wished he'd talked to me about it. Anyway now I've only sent for the birth certificate,I have to have counselling before I can see it but I don't know what to do about that,did you have that Cookie? Does the office issuing the birth certificate inform the Local Authority? I'm assuming so as it had on the questionaire, where did I want the counselling to take place? I'm waiting by the letter box everyday for some news,its taking ages it seems ,apparently there is a big demand for birth certificates due to the Beeb tracing your ancestors series!

Thanks again Cookie,you have encouraged me greatly. Its on my mind alot as you maybe can tell. P.S I haven't told any of my adoptive family,only my partner knows.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2005, 11:50:04 »
while on the subject of adoption, a big weight has been taken off me. My hubby has many aunties. One of them had a daughter (V.) that she gave up. The daughter traced the mother 10 years ago via my mother in law, but her mother had no feelings for her. She has 2 half sisters and a half brother. She kept in touch with my mother in law, and me, and we have met up. Now, V didn't sound like well bunny and has decided that 10 years is enough and she doesn't feel like she has another 10 years to wait. She rang me up Friday lunchtime wanting her half-sisters' phone numbers. I gave them to her but asked her not to ring until this week (it is her mother's 50th wedding anniversary). On friday, I saw her mother and the two half-sisters. She rang one of them, E., on Friday - E. rang last night to say V had rung and was unsure how to deal with things. Should she tell her sister and brother before or after approaching her mother?

Mary - if you are reading this, hubby's cousins that work where you do don't know.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2005, 17:13:05 »
o-mulitiveg-that was a complicated but VERY interesting posat!
in fact-they are al interesting posts!
i dontr get much time off from our shop but today.....well-you know how it is.....its raining-you look out of the shop door..see 2 blokes and a dog stumbling along,heads down collars up.....bit cold and dreary out ......shop cats gorn orf to bed.....finished the painting commission that i really needed to finish......make a cup of tea.again.or......PING as light bulb goes on over head-i could just shut up shop for the day-after all-i'm not {{{shudder}}}tescos-no-one wil starve if i close a bit early...and i could do with going to wilkos for some more seeds...then i can go home and catch up on the A4A site-so i did.....and i read all the profiles.....the sad ones and the happy ones .....the daft ones and the serious ones-what a delight you all are!
so-to make sure i keep to  the regs-i shall add a bit more to mine-i listen to radio 4 a lot-been with my beloved lunatic  other half 30 years(child bride!actually no bride at all,we never married,i dont want him to get too comfortable,i introduce him as my FIRST husband-keeps him on his toes!)try to watch as little goggle box as i can-which is not difficult its all cr..er...rubbish really......just moved to the country from the city -and we love it-opened this box and found you lot which is a biiiiig bonus as i am anti social...i like the internet.but i'm not keen on face to face stuff...
what else?
dont smoke ,dont drink, i eat chocolate...i'm overweight undertall and i work obsessively hard at my job...cos i love it...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2005, 22:10:41 »
Hi Heldi, sorry to be so long in replying,but son no 1 is home from uni, and is always using the computor. I started my search with the local social services offices, i gave them all the info that i had from my addoption certificate and any other info that i had gleaned from  my addoptive parents, they sent for my birth cert, and hada chat about how i felt about it, all very low key! They also found out how i had been addopted, which agency etc. i called the agency in Bristol and they said to put all the info in a letter, they wrote backwithin a week to say that all my documents were all on file, and if I went to Bristol they would give them to me. ( they said to take a friend for support). it was amazing what was in the file, loads of info about my birth parents and myself( never knew how much i weighed at birth before!!!) My birth cert gave me a name for my mother, but no name for my father, it also gave my mothers name , address, and profession. this was the starting point. any other info that i can help you with, i would be glad to share if i can work out how to give you my e-mail. good luck, cookie :) :) :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2005, 21:08:38 »
Hi Cookie!
I'll send you a personal message so as I don't take up too much space on this thread.

Unless everyone doesn't mind. Makes a change bring able to talk about this.

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2005, 19:35:47 »
I too am curious about the people behind the nicknames...and the reason why they use such nicknames as some of them are very strange ???..

My name is Joy, have three adult children, all married and left home.( three grandchildren too) My eldest is also a member here and introduced me to the site, she likes to remain anonymous  but I now know her nickname too so can send her messages..she lives miles away from me.

Am a long time vegetarian, love cats, not too keen on dogs though...a born again christian too, but don't let that put you off.
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2005, 19:57:04 »
If you mean nicknames on the forum, I was figuring this only yesterday.

It's not only disguise - they often sign a real name. Surely, it's that your given name would be the same as several hundred others?? Like there are 3 Tims.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2005, 20:11:32 »
my username was given to me by some people i met from a formula one forum - we went to the british grand prix and all met for the first time camping together. i wore those trousers that zip off to make shorts - hence legless. i use it on all forums but no-one ever believes me when i tell them it's not about booze!!  :D

although i am currently enjoying my first homemade wine (blackcurrant) from last year. not too bad!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2005, 20:49:57 »
mines fairly obvious when you know me...7 cats(no,my house doesn't smell of wee...)and i paint a lot of cats..
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2005, 21:35:24 »
Mine is because, as Tim indicates, there could probably be lots of "Helen" but not many "Heldi". Boring really, though people keep putting Heidi! I'll wear my hair in plaits and sing in the Cheviots whilst herding goats if it pleases anyone!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #273 on: March 27, 2005, 22:19:33 »
Heldi,

To be honest I'm often at the site but have only just looked at your thread.

Those who know me will have read about our fabulous trip to Australia in January to visit the rellies......well, I was adopted as a baby and this was my first meeting with my natural Mum's middle sister, and all her family. I've known them for a few years and since Auntie Pat has helped me through the thick and thin of learning about your natural family, it was fabulous!!

Do contact me directly if you'd like to. There is so much involved. It isn't that I don't talk about it, only that I there is so much else  to so with gardens here!

By the way, my username is simply 'cos it's where I live!

CLx

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2005, 23:41:50 »
I too am curious about the people behind the nicknames...and the reason why they use such nicknames as some of them are very strange ???..

<snip>
Am a long time vegetarian, love cats, not too keen on dogs though...a born again christian too, but don't let that put you off.

moonbells is a second choice name really. Years ago when I first got an email account I chose moonrose as I had a picture of the moon and a potted rose on my desk (neatly combining my astronomy and gardening hobbies).  A few years ago I decided I wanted a .com domain just because, discovered moonrose had already gone (and was a new agey crystal site!) so ended up with moonbells as it was near enough and sounded ok.  Now it's my gardening persona and website :)

Similarly I'm a cat person (have one slightly mad one, persona non-grata tonight after anklebushing me and leaving me with holes in my foot) and am also a Christian.  Not a veggie though unless it's Lent, when I'm strict.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2005, 23:57:00 »
Don't have a nickname....had some real stinkers at school and am never planning to wander that way again!  It is only you lot that call me Emma Jane, before you, it was my teachers when I was naughty!  Now I am just Emma, Em (but only by mum or nan) or mummy.  Filled in my profile way back when, but to recap, I am a 34 year old mum of 2, a daughter who was 6 last week and a son who is 4, and I am a wicked stepmother to a 9 year old hormonal whirlwind of a young lady.  We live in sunny arid Essex, but I am a Surrey girl, however my heart lives in North Devon where my mums mums family originate and I hope to finish up one day.  (Just in case anyone asks, my ashes please, thrown to the wind on the pebble ridge at Westward Ho! whilst eating a Hockings and gazing at the gorgeous Lundy Island).  I am married to a star who's nicknames is Ava (banana) and he is Essex through and through.  I have 2 allotments which I fill to capacity, a greenhouse and a conservatory, all packed to the rafters with plants. 
KenKew asked where, or when I sleep.  Usually around the witching hour snuggled up with a banana dreaming of tropical islands where the sun always shines and where my darned Banana palm would finally fruit for me!!!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2005, 19:35:42 »
used to log on to other sites as l.u.m.p but ani  is quicker to type!  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2005, 21:23:55 »
Having read all these posts with interest, I think I'll give it a go!
Born in Hertfordshire 56 years ago. Didn't really like school much but my favourite subjects were art and maths.  Youngest of three (always the baby to my mum, bless her), married when I was 21.  Worked in London until we moved to Oxfordshire when my OHs firm moved here.  Don't have any children but have a cat called Merlin (hence Merlins Mum and that's him on the left) and a dog called Toby.  In the past I've had such diverse hobbies as hand set letter press and cake decorating!  Still doing the odd bit of drawing and painting.
I wouldn't say I'm a particularly good gardener but I love my garden and pottering around in it. Wish I was better at growing veg, especially as we are vegetarians.
Was bullied onto A4A by kitty who kept telling me what a great site it was.  Now I can't get enough of it, so thanks kitty.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2005, 17:13:22 »
o,merlins mum shame on you! ;) ;D
yeah..right-i bullied her-the fact several people were killed in the rush for her to log in has nothing to do with it!
lol!
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2005, 17:39:18 »
OK OK maybe to say I was reluctant to register would be nearer the truth, but I'm really glad you kept asking me 'have you looked at A4A yet'.
thanks kitty  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal