Author Topic: I hear THUNDER!  (Read 6849 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: I hear THUNDER!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 20:39:15 »
rain all morning, sun came out this afternoon, now blowing a gale.

all the lilies back inside the greenhouse (cos they're very tall and unstaked), three chillies have had to come back in the bedroom to make way for the lilies and a minigreenhouse took off and landed on the previously "sat on" tom!

everything else is just having to take its chances.  i hope the steroid sweetpeas hold up cos they're just starting to bloom and that reminds me, i must go out and get the hanging basket down.

rain i can cope with, cold and wind i;ll give a miss please.

8)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 20:49:55 »
After our hazy morning had a really good shower of rain which stopped after about an hour and then back to sunshine - perfect growing weather.  Was quite close this afternoon, but is a nice clear night.  My sister who lives in London has said it is awful there, everywhere is looking burnt and the soil is cracked and the heat is very uncomfortable, so my sympathy to those suffering.  I hope the rain comes soon down there.

EJ, is great your hair cut turned out fine.  Hair can totally alter your appearance and too many times I have gone expecting to be transformed and come back feeling disatisfied, when the hairdresser has gone berserk with her scissors.  Lucky enough to have a lovely stylist now. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 21:03:25 »
It's 30 here and unbearably stifling (sp?)

Are we talking "China" or somewhere else? ;D

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 21:48:53 »
heavy rain early this morning, thank god i thought , the plants will get a good soak in the good stuff. when i opened the plot gate just after 9, before my eyes was a sea of green.
 BLOODY WEEDS WILL NOT WIN!!!
spent the day putting in three rows of leeks and the rest hoeing, digging and ripping the wee gits from the ground. the rain made it sooo much easier, the resident robin had a feast, and it's a great feeling when you sit down and see the difference. the sun came out in the afternoon so i managed to wear wellies, old trainers and gardening clogs in one day!!
I'm going to launch another attack tomorrow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 22:42:45 »
I couldn't stand the airlessness in the house tonight after roasting in school all day, so I went to the plot, where it turned out to be quite pleasant. Let's hope it gets a bit cooler.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 23:02:30 »
No thunder, no rain, just horribly hot here and hairdresser couldn't fit me in until Wednesday.   :(

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 06:54:05 »
It's raining - tee hee

It is strange how having ann allotment totally changes our perspective towards the weather ;D

Although, today is my day for working in Stratford, so will be using public transport to get there and will no doubt arrive more than a little damp, with frizzy hair ::)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 07:34:17 »
No thunder, no rain, just horribly hot here.   :(

Same here Jill, but 20mm of rain (yes, twenty) are forecast in torrential rain tonight ;D ;D ;D
Maybe I'll put a mesh cloche over the sweetcorn, just in case ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 08:52:22 »
Pouring hard here in the part of the country with the least rainfall !  :(

This was going to be my only digging and planting day this week, but faced with a load of housework I think I'll dig in the rain........... :-\
Smile, it confuses people.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 09:33:31 »
Our house was hit by lightning last night  ::) Didn't do any damage ... in fact it mysteriously 'mended' the bathroom light that hasn't worked for 6 months and turned on the fish-tank light. Very odd.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 09:39:28 »
Finally we've had some rain :D The sun is out again now but early hours this morning we had a heavy downpour followed by long gentle rain. The waterbutts are full again and I'm very happy ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 10:20:34 »
Our house was hit by lightning last night  ::) Didn't do any damage ... in fact it mysteriously 'mended' the bathroom light that hasn't worked for 6 months and turned on the fish-tank light. Very odd.

Clever stuff, electricity ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 11:34:21 »
We had a good soaking from about 4am today, just about an inch so the water butts are full again and the soil nice and moist to about 6 inches.

Trouble rain has stopped play on my new greenhouse, the chippy was due to start to assmble it today.

Cant have it all though!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 14:17:35 »
Yay!  It rained here good and steady from about 4am until at least 10am.  I am very pleased.  Means the garden which was looking wilty is all perky again, the waterbutts are all full to brimming and I don't have to water old Jacks plot for him!  I did pop to the allotment at lunch time and picked 2Ib ripe strawbs and filled a carrier bag with peas!  The peas are shucked and in the freezer and the strawbs were sorted and just over a pound of perfect strawbs are prepared and in the fridge for pud tonight, the rest are in my strawberry jam-bag in the freezer.  That now weighs a pound, another pound and I will make strawberry jam!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 15:43:22 »
Finally the rain arrives in NW London/Middlesex! And how!

I'm having difficulty thinking as I've got velux windows in my office.

:) 

moonbells (hoping the plants don't get flattened)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 16:25:36 »
No rain here :(

No sorry...... I lied got 30 seconds worth of drizzle that dried as it hit the ground!!!
looks like out with the hosepipe again.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 16:31:39 »
The site rep (old boy) and I had a chat today.

SS: Why haven't we had any rain then tony?
Him: We're too good
SS: ???
Him: The rain goes around us
SS: ??? ???
Him: The sun shines on the righteous ;D

amphibian

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 12:43:22 »
You had me all excited there for a mo!!

I did wonder!!!  Grounds cracking, extra water butts set up in the form of old dustbins, and nought in sight! :'( :'(
And the worst thing is it is too hot to plot!! :o

They've been forecasting rain here today, but so far nothing. ???

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 14:50:25 »

Clever stuff, electricity ...

Yes! VERY clever!

It managed to strike as my daughter's (lazy-assed) boyfriend was in the bath ;D

Soooo ... not only was there a massive noise, flash of lightning above his head etc. but the bathroom light came on suddenly and he leapt out of the bath thinking the end was nigh  ;D

An act of God obviously  ;D

Don't know why the fish-tank light came on though? Maybe I'm being told to rescue goldfish or empty the water out of it since the last fish in it died before Christmas.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal