Author Topic: Oh hell, my spuds are floury!  (Read 5564 times)

Sam Spade

• Not So New ...
Oh hell, my spuds are floury!
« on: August 02, 2005, 22:41:34 »
I hate to admit it really but some of my new spuds are distinctly floury. They are mainstream varieties (earlies and second earlies) such as Pentland Javelin. The lates are fine though (Wilja). I'm wondering if I might have left the earlies in too long as I only started to dig up them up a few weeks ago.
Any suggestions? Could it be the dry weather as well?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Oh hell, my spuds are floury!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 22:49:39 »
It's probably meant to be floury  :)     I don't think you've left it too late as I only started unearthing mine on Sunday  :)  Pentland Javelin (I've just had a look is recommended to be boiled or baked  :)

I put mine into fresh manure and when I peeled back the black placcy sheet mulch it was quite wet (I'm in North Derbys)  I suppose the mulch retains moisture.  I was digging up my mate's Ulster Prince and I noticed how dry his soil was.  They tasted very earthy so there maybe something in what you say about the dry weather
I came, I saw, I composted

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 23:11:31 »
Well, what is wrong with floury potatoes????
I grow both floury  and waxy potatoes and use them for different dishes. As I do not grow these particular varieties( I grow about 15 varieties as it is), I had a look in the pamphlet written by Alan Roman, called Guide to seed potato varieties. According to him, your varieties tend to be waxy rather than floury. However, if your potatoes have suffered a drought this year , the flesh will be naturally drier and may appear floury. ???
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 23:16:44 »
Love floury tatties- best for mash ;D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 23:23:21 »
Remember that the best way  to cook all varieties of potatoes, is by microwave in a covered container. That way you get excellent texture and taste.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 09:07:39 »
Sam  There was no need to worry after all  :)

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:09:24 »
Sam,

I also chose Pentland Javelin for my first early as the book said they were waxy - cause thats what I like. However like you mine were all floury and broke up easily on cooking.Not great yield either - bit disappointing.

I've never tried them before but I wonder if its the weather ? even up here in Scotland its been very dry and I've no water on plot to spare for potatoes.

Maybe I'll try them again next year...

looking forward to maincrops Nicola

cheers Gail

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 10:09:17 »
I'd recommend Arran Pilot.  I didn't know spud from another but the lotty guy suggested AP although they weren't selling them from the lotty shed  ???  I got some and they are delicious in salad and I put some in a casserole last night which I managed to overcook but the spuds held together  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 10:17:05 »
I was very disappointed with my earlies this year which were Duke of York, they are so starchy and really hard potatoes and not that tasty.  I didn't know if it was because  of conditions or whether it was just the variety too.  Think I will have to reconsider for next year, which I suppose is part of the fun of growing potatoes, trying different varieties.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 11:56:50 »
My anyas were very waxy and excellent for new potatoes.
Yukon golds were floury and perfect mashers/bakers.
Amandines were good non-floury new potatoes but not very tasty.
International kidney excellent when young but floury as they got bigger.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:51 »
I was very disappointed with my earlies this year which were Duke of York, they are so starchy and really hard potatoes and not that tasty.

Mine too,also D.O.Y. Disappointing........Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 12:30:27 »
The few earlies I've lifted (Duke of York) were fine, but they went in late so I didn't touch them till midsummer. The last couple of weeks I haven't had a chance thanks to work and illness.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 13:33:03 »
Red Duke of York make THE BEST chips, preferably fried with beef dripping.

Floury spuds rule OK

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 13:52:05 »
I like floury spuds but I love nice waxy salad potatoes.  I grew potatoes for the first time about 5 yrs ago: Charlottes.  They were fantastic: waxy, firm, peppery, deelish.  Then we moved and I got the lottie.  I've grown Charlottes since and never achieved the quality of my 1st crop.  Both lottie grown and garden grown have been floury, mushy and tasteless.  So what causes the flouriness????  I've given up with Charlottes now and just grow PFAs.  Take up more room and take longer to grow but taste superb and look so strange ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 14:25:07 »
Wardy. NOT ABOUT SPUDS . Wardy now it is my turn to laugh. I am getting a little concerned about you :) You overcook the casserole, you put a scrape (big scrape) down the side of a neighbours vehicle, you have a very large top and don't know what to do with it,,OOPS I meant clothing for top ::)Lorna

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 20:51:13 »
Lorna        You cheeky monkey  ;D ;D   Having a better day today, well apart from forgetting to post me letters when I went out to post them.  Doh  ;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 21:21:28 »
Pentland javlin id not give a good yield for me either.  They were scrummy though roasted or boiled.
Get with the beat Baggy

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 21:40:20 »
My Kestrels make pretty good chips.  Will be growing those again.  Decided next year to grow more varieties - fewer first earlies, more second earlies (two varieties - Kestrel and one other) and two maincrops if I survive the blight.  If blight is a problem on the site, I will grow two more second earlies - hopefully keepers if they exist.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal