Author Topic: Over 80's travel insurance  (Read 8070 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Over 80's travel insurance
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 11:25:27 »
Ken(69) ten years ago, my father died very suddenly on a holiday in Scotland :'( and it cost £700 just to get him home to Cheshire.
So when my mum made further trips after losing my Dad she began paying a ten pound preiumn just in case history repeated itself, and believe it or not it did, my mum died suddenly in Scotland three years ago :'(

So maybe sometimes it is worth taking out cover for all eventualities as you just never know what is around the corner.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:38 »
EJ, I'm not sure if it is the same for retired peeps, but Australia and the UK have a reciprocal (hurrah for dictionary.com!) medical agreement. I have been back and forth between UK and Aus 3 or 4 times now, and have never had travel insurance - or any problems being seen by a doctor, even when I was considered just a visitor here in the UK initially! Both countries have government-funded health systems, which probably has something to do with it.

Have found the Medicare (equivalent to NHS here) web site, and the page for travellers from overseas:

http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/services_for_travellers/uk_sweden_finland_norway_netherlands_malta_italy.htm

If you visit the doctor, you usually have to pay up-front, and there is a small 'gap' fee (A$10) that you end up having to pay, but then you can drive/walk straight to the medicare office and claim most of the money back.

Looks like they need to have their NHS card, which would cover emergency hospital treatment.

Hope that page helps, feel free to ask me more questions and I will answer what I can.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 12:30:27 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 14:20:36 »
Sorry to hear that Honey, £10 not too bad, and no doubt enjoyed the hills.A blessed country, Scotland.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 19:32:02 »
Over the years I've spent thousands on health Insurance, and fortunately never claimed a penny, so eight years ago I decided to manage without it, and the money I've saved would well pay for any treatment privately abroad.
Vony.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 19:51:26 »
Emma Jane

I have just only insured one of my bosses who is 82.  I contacted Churchill and they have accepted him and his wife at a cost of £169 for the year !  If you want, I can arrange to give you a telephone number.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:27:39 by Marianne »
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 22:32:10 »
EJ was just wondering if you have had any luck with  the insurance?  Hope so. Lorna.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2005, 18:09:14 »
I suppose it depends whether or not your going on holiday within the common market or further, but health costs in South Africa is quite inexpensive as the Rand is good up against the pound, in the Common Markets you shouldn't forget to take your E11
Vony

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2005, 21:56:11 »
Hi Lorna, yes he is all sorted now, altho I keep forgetting to ask him who he ended up going through.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 22:46:30 »
EJ glad to hear it, hope Gramps enjoys his winter in Australia. I have two great nephews who live either side of Sydney. My nephew is going out for a month in Sept (with his wife) to celebrate his 60th birthday with their sons. I did wonder if I could hide in their suitcases.  :) Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal