Author Topic: Standard Bay tree.  (Read 1588 times)

undercarriage plan

Standard Bay tree.
« on: July 27, 2005, 17:32:26 »
Having always wanted a twirly standard Bay tree, and having seen prices at Nurseries ( :o), I decided to do my own. It seems to be going really well. But I'm not sure what to do when it reaches desired height to get the mop head effect at top, and should I remove lower leaves or do they fall off?  Thanks Lottie

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Standard Bay tree.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 17:45:39 »
Nice work. Pinch the top out at the desired height  so it will begin to bush, You then keep pinching out those stems as they get long enough. Keep the leaves on the stem at the moment as thes are currently helping the plant grow. You can then take thes off at a later stage (guesswork) when you have more leaf growth on the top. If you get new shoots growing out of you stem it is best to rub them off as they appear rather than have to cut them off - less chance of regrowth. Hope that helps.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 17:53:13 »
Thank you, Beejay.  You have definitely helped, convinced I'll kill it just as it's getting good!!  Lottie  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 22:37:20 »
Well done Lottie, that looks very impressive :)  I would agree with beejay - I do exactly that with my standard fuchsias (except that they are straight and not twisty :D).  Look forward to seeing the finished project :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 23:50:35 »
Thanks garden girl!! Will post pic, when slightly more impressive!!! Lottie  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal