Author Topic: Courgette Omlette thingy  (Read 2659 times)

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
Courgette Omlette thingy
« on: August 01, 2005, 14:56:00 »
 :) Ohh lovely receipe. From a mag I read in a cafe, OLive.

Chop one onion
Slice howevermany courgettes you want or to suit no to be fed.
3 free range eggs (feeds two) beat and add drop of water, salt pepper.
some oil to lightly coat pan.
200g Grated cheese, I used Manchengo, very hard Spanish one, any other hard cheese will do.

I used a griddle pan. Cooks well in a small fry/pancake pan as it makes a very thick omlette.  Lightly fry onion and courgette until browned to taste. Add grated cheese toss to melt. Add beaten eggs. cook until nearly solid.  Bung under grill until top is brown and crispy.

Serve cut into wedges with new pots and french beans. Or other veg you have from lottie. Yummy.
Supernan!!

daveandtara

• Acre
Re: Courgette Omlette thingy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 14:58:56 »
thanks supernan,
finally a recipe that suits my one courgette a day harvest! ;D
all the others require a fair sized glut!
Tara xx

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 20:26:05 »
My sister suggested a courgette omelette for my fairly small sized courgettes but couldn't suggest a recipe so thanks for this.  Having said that my courgette's are definitely starting to fatten up since we ate the first batch.

M.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 20:56:54 »
I LOVE manchego cheese but the only place you can get it around here is Tesco, and I'm boycotting them at present.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 21:41:44 »
First time I bought Manchego was from Sainsbury's, and I think on a good day you can find it in Asda.

Co-incidentally, I've been boycotting Tescos for some time now as well.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 21:46:47 »
Yes, they've just opened a mega store really close to the town centre. Why the council let it go through, I have no idea. This was on July 6th, and the local shops (there are about 20) have already been badly hit (except for the really good butcher and the hardware store). It makes you want to cry. I want to go shopping where people say hello and mean it. I also don't want to lose a couple of hours of my life a week wandering around trying to find things.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 23:24:40 by jennym »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 09:55:07 »
Those empty shops will get vandalised and look an eyesore in the town centre.  It's called town planning you know  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 13:20:21 »
Watch it - my brothers a town planner you know  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 19:46:33 »
 ;)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 21:46:47 »
My boycott is due to Tesco's connection with Shirley Porter, who is stinking rich but who pled poverty when she was fined for her activities in Westminster and then ran out of the country with her millions intact, may she rot in hell - which will freeze over before I shop in Tesco.
Lesson for life:

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 21:49:21 »
i am just bored with supermarkets. i am supporting my local shops as much as i can, supplementing my veg growing nicely :)
i do think we eat much better - and save lots of money! somehow or other, we have far less wastage - you know, the stuff you buy in the supermarket that stays in the fridge for three weeks and then you chuck it out?!

supernan, your receipe has inspired me to something similar for tea tonight - no courgette in sight but had broccoli and bacon bits in it :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 22:01:46 »
Sounds delicious, Svea - broccoli's my favourite veg. I like it stir fried with Worcester Sauce.
Did you grow the broc yourself?
I tried last year for the first time and discovered it was an 'early flowering' variety (ahem!) - I was heartbroken. :'(
Lesson for life:

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 22:02:38 »
Crumbs, didn't realise others felt as strongly about Tesco etc. But how do you go about educating neighbours etc? I see people go out on what are sort of 'expeditions', taking hours, and coming back laden with bags and bags of stuff, most of which they'll probably throw away. And they drag their kids around the store too... I could rant for hours.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 22:42:20 »
I got really miffed today as had to break off gardening as I had no bread to go with my homemade sausage casserole with you;ve guessed it complete with courgettes, and homegrown spuds  ;D   I know I didn't need any bread as got spuds but I wanted sommat to mop up the juices  ;D  Didn't go to Tesco though  :)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 23:43:22 »
amazin - yes. i have to check quite frequently to catch it early :)

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 01:05:00 »
I made the courgette omelette thingy for tea for myself and my mother and we both thought it was fantastic...definitely will be making this again.  Had it with potato wedges...I could eat it all over again  :)

M.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 21:41:23 »
Svea, it seems like I just looked away for a second and all of a sudden - BLOSSOM! I take it it's a well known problem with broccoli then?
Just wish the seed packets would mention it!   >:(
Lesson for life:

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 23:08:53 »
well, are you surprised?
seeing that what you want to harvest is the flower head coming out to flower! so you have to be quicker than nature for this one.
nature of the beast :)

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:57 »
Hi All glad the omlette thingy started such an interesting debate about Tesco.

Got my cheese from a new deli opened by a young chap in Braintree Essex. Got talking about my lottie efforts and he is interested in taking some surplus next year. Was especially interested in real tomatoes.

As I am swapping veg for eggs with my farmer friends that gave me the cow poo pile, I think I may do a deli for veg swap next time I go.

I just hope that the other locals support him.
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 10:48:18 »
We have a fab deli and he buys exotics from the locals, eg quails eggs and asparagus.  I think he'd buy my artichokes but the plant keeled over under the weight of all the unpicked chokes.  So maybe next year  :)  He sells samphire and I can recall taking my dear old ma in there and she knew instantly what it was and bought some for tea.  I'd never seen or heard of it but it was something that they ate way back when  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal