Author Topic: I JUST DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!  (Read 4442 times)

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
Re: I JUST DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 01:54:04 »
Hi Tim,
           If you know someone who has one of the Green Dragon type flame weeders, the ones with the gas canister on a trolley and a hood at the business end that might solve your no fires problem. ;)

PREMTAL ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 07:00:41 »
That's a thought! On the small scale of a raised bed, it might just work? With much turning over.

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 07:07:19 »
Sorry to hear about the white rot , Tim.  but I wonder if white rot clears itself up.  

Quite a few weeks ago, I started picking my onions and noticed that a lot appeared to have white rot, which I dug up and discarded in a pile near the compost.  I left the rest in the ground and hoped for the best.  This weekend I went to pick the remaining onions and only 2 or 3 had the white rot out of 100 or more - previously 1 in 3 had the rot.  So does the rot clear up - assuming the rot is only on the skin surface.  And if we see mould on the skin surface of anything do we assume it is the end of the plant.

Also, some of the previously discarded onions with the rot, didn't have any when I last looked, and looked perfectly edible.  Was this really white rot or some other mould on the skin surface.

Don't give up Tim, keep going, you will win in the end.

Regards Lily

' A problem shared is a problem halved'

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 08:48:46 »
I was going to suggest a monster flame gun. (not that I know anything, I'm a novice especially compared to you Tim).  I figured even if it didn't work you would somehow get a sadistic pleasure out of roasting the flippin' stuff.  Ha!
Get with the beat Baggy

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 10:35:32 »
I think You made some small beds for your alums Tim.Try this on one of them....
Hit the bed with lime spread quite a bit on more then You would think of using normally ..Then  after a week or so rotovate it in ..Then just before you Plant or sow the bed next year give it same treatment with less lime ..I know it goes way out with the theorists as the Ph in  that bed   will be not what they would reccomend for alums. But onions can stand lime .
AND it worked for me  ... Cheers Jim...... 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 10:44:12 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 11:39:27 »
THAT'S a new one, Jim!!

Lily - sadly NO! Not in 9 years. Hence my displeasure!

So clean all your tools & burn, or safely dispose of all debris.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 13:16:15 »
9 years  :o    Gardening seems to get scarier and more pit-fall-ridden everytime I log on!! Fortunately I don't know what I'm actually doing out there, or I think I'd have to stop  ;D

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 15:37:01 »
Makes me glad I am not a farmer!  Losing crops like that on a small scale is bad enough.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal