Author Topic: What has happened here?  (Read 1949 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
What has happened here?
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:56:34 »

These we think are muscari bulbs, but anyone any ideas as to why they should be in such a mass and above ground too?
Gardening is the great leveller.

ndkc2003

• Not So New ...
  • Zak - the other man in my life.
Re: What has happened here?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:00:48 »
I have noticed that quite a few of the bulbs in my garden appear to have come to the surface of the soil. I wondered if the dry spells we have had are anything to do with it as where mine are situated are fairly dry spots anyway.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 13:38:03 »
Safety in numbers, I have  running battle with the old grape hyacinth. I bet the soil has got too dry and powdery and the recent rain has washed it away. Now I can see them above ground, no wonder I can never get rid of them if that is what they are like when hidden underground.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 14:23:43 »
They could be so tighly packed that they're pushing each other up. I've noticed snowdrops doing this, and always when they were way overcrowded with lots of little stunted bulbs.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 14:47:54 »
Heritage, I know what you mean. Muscari do have a nasty habit of spreading rather well. However these are in a gravel path so the soil washing away theory is no the answer. It could well be that the soil is so compacted thast the only place the bulbs have to go is up. At least this way I can get rid of them ::)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 16:19:09 »
Eric get rid of some my way if you must i will pay P&P i love them i have a few i think they look great when the daffs come up. Rosebud.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 00:20:31 »
These things are a real nuisance in my garden. They multiply so sucessfully both by offsets and by seed.

Sometimes the clump gets so dense and conjested it pushes itself out of the ground, particularly if the soil is poor or hard and they cant go down.

Manys the ime I have dug out such clumps, but never as big as that one though. :o

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 01:00:10 »
we would also love to have some if you're getting rid!
nothing seems to grow in our front garden apart from spring bulbs so they could spread to their hearts content!  ;D
happy to pay p&p of course
Tara and Dave

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 09:25:40 »
They do that down my front path too. Noticed some had popped up and sprouted the other day. I pinch off the flowers before they set seed.
gone to pot :D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 07:38:54 »
Grape Hyacinth

Basically I think that the soil has been aroided away from the base of the plants and it is showing allot of babies. This is normal for this plant as it makes alot of baby bulbs anyway

In autumn when leaves die down dig them up and devide them or give some to friends and neighbours.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43:01 »
Quote"these are in a gravel path so the soil washing away theory is not the answer."
Too late they have ben dug up and binned!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal