Author Topic: Runners dropping flowers  (Read 1385 times)

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
Runners dropping flowers
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:13:52 »
Hi all, my runner beans have been in flower for about three weeks now but the flowers keep dropping off! ???  I can't see any mini beans where they've fallen, the plants are well watered and the ground was manured last september.

Am I doing something wrong? ???

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Runners dropping flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 11:38:18 »
No, I don't think so.  There's always some flower drop and if you had heavy rain then I think that would account for some of it.  I went to plot after yesterday's heavy rain and was surprised to see some beans!!!!!   I'd given up on them.  One tiny aubergine too, oh and some toms showing at long last  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 14:08:53 »
Phew!  That's a relief!  Thanks ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 16:41:28 »
I have a combination of flower drop and some mini beans - it is about half and half on my bigger plants and the ratio of beans to lost flowers increases up the stem.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 23:41:35 »
For me runner beans never set before mid August as it is so warm here (but we grow great melons) prior to then. Perhaps you have the same problem?
Alternatively, are you seeing many bees visiting the flowers? Runner beans have very low sugar levels in their nectar and bees will only visit if there are few alternatives as nectar sources.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 23:46:54 »
I've tended to go to the plot in the evenings when the weather is hot so not sure about the bees.  My neighbours' beans seem to be setting fine, maybe its the aspect? It has been a tad on the breezy side lately.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 00:36:34 »
Honeybees are the only ones which are choosy about what flowers they visit, and they aren't effective runner bean pollinators anyway.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 00:50:06 »
I think it's the moisture in the air that affects them. Since we started having a bit if rain, its seems almost magically, loads of beans have started appearing. Or maybe they were already set and are just swelling now, I don't know.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal