Author Topic: FAMILY HISTORY  (Read 11309 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: FAMILY HISTORY
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 23:37:10 »
I haven't been on A4A that long so I'm pleased to see this. I have tried to track ours back but had little luck so far... can't get out of the mid 19thC on paternal side!
 ???

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 23:42:58 »
Oh Sue,  Orkney have a wonderful Family History society and so well informed, so your sister should get on fine there.  I am sure they have all the B D M and census and they will help her out, no bother.

:D :D

Keep on looking Saddad, am sure you can get back to the early 1800s with registration starting in 1837 in England ( it was 1855 in Scotland).

;)

Suey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 23:43:15 »
If you`d like to let me know who you`re looking for I`ll search the census for you, I have access to the data from 1841 - 1901  :)  A name, place of birth (if known) and approximate year of birth will do.

Suey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2006, 23:45:36 »
Carol I have reams of info that she has sent me, it`s amazing!  I wish the English side of things was as helpful  ::)

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 23:55:03 »
I suppose it is because Orkney is small that they can gather all the information together.  Its the same with the Shetland FHS they have everything to hand and anyone going up there to find their ancestors can be taken to a descendent.  Mind you they did make a whopper of a mistake with my cousin.  They told her her  father had a wife previous to her mother??   wrong.....   Cousin was in a state until I helped her out and found out this was not the case.  Mistakes can be made.   She thought she had a half brother.    :) :) :) :) :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 08:15:03 »
Oooh, what a wonderful thread.  Gardening and genealogy are my two favourite topics, so having them both on the same forum is brilliant.  I had no idea this was here.  I have to rush off now but want to sit and read it later, it is so fascinating reading about how people search out their families and the finds they make.  I have found two cousins of my parents who I am now in touch with which is wonderful. 

Saddad, keep trying, they will be there somewhere, probably misspelt along the way... I have had so many that have been hiding, I love the challenge.

And Tim has wonderfully found me some information on my wartime pilots which has been brilliiant... :)

Have a good day.

T.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2006, 09:09:27 »
I too am doing my family tree and have been at it almost daily since April ( well- when not on the lottie!)
So far one line has gone back to 1604 in Barkway, Herts ( I live in Cheshire)
All very English so far until......on my mother's side.... a Mary born in Scotland!!!!!! ;D ;D Yey...I have a tartan!!!!! ( problem is....that's all I've got on her other than she was married to Hugh Sephton around 1840 aged 23 and lived in the St Helens region nr Liverpool.
Any advise  Carol would be fantastic????
Am dying to find out which Tartan I have- bound to be orange, pink and yellow :o ( oops- sorry if I have just offended someone!!!)
Yes- this is addictive..almost as much as A4A !!!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2006, 10:34:44 »
Hi All,

My search was triggered by having to find a common topic of conversation with a friend & colleague's wife.  I was looked after a lot as a kid by my mum's family & they were always gossiping about the rellies so I picked up loads of snippets just by hanging about.

I found it a good winter hobby to fill in the gaps left by gardening & climbing & with the family being 100% Scots so far, used to do a concentrated day in Edinburgh everytime I visited home.

Mum's side have been pretty easy to trace if sometimes colourful. Dad's on the other hand have been much harder.  No first hand gossip or info available at all, a very funny lot.  And I go spare trying to figure out which Donald Mackay married to Margaret in Caithness are mine.

I have lots of very old photos and my uncle has a specific interest in his Grandfather's life which is a nice reason to stay in touch.  I have found the most interesting aspect to be understanding the social history that shaped the lives of my family through the 1800's.  Because of the photos, I can connect with them, going further back has less interest, and with the way mum's family reproduce and produce strong stock that live long lives, there's still plenty to go at.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2006, 11:25:43 »
I joined

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/

and almost immediately found an unknown third cousin who had done a great deal of research on my paternal grandfather's line.  Since then I've come across a lot of distant relatives who have helped fill gaps in other parts of my tree.  For a sub of £9.50 pa it's well worth joining. 

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 12:20:55 »
www.ancestry.co.uk is good too.

I've done lots to, found out my G.G.Grandmother (Fanny Honeybone) was one of this lot,

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/England-History/AscotMartyrs.htm

Its slightly worring that i've got back to the 1700's and both my parent lines - but still hav'nt found anyone who lived more than 30miles from where i live now...i'm probably related to myself.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2006, 13:13:37 »
I use Ancestry a lot and also www.rootschat.com when I am stuck.

I have both Scottish and English families and a lot of soldiers which I find fascinating.  I have used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for my Scottish ancestors and find it really useful because you can view the certificates straight away, rather than having to wait for them to come from the GRO.

I am trying very hard not to look at the moment because I have so much on. :(  Can't wait until that quiet time after Christmas to have time to pick it all up again...

Good luck with all your searching!

T.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2006, 13:54:11 »
I'm hunting my tree too.

I guess it makes sense - us lot, growing trees... ;D ::)

I've got back to at least GGgrands on both sides, and have nearly sorted the GGGgrands too. Only yesterday I discovered some folk in my hometown who share a GGGgrandfather with me!

Useful for when it rains!

I too have splashed on the ancestry and genesreunited subscriptions - figure it's fun and still cheaper than half a dozen visits to restaurants or pubs! Lot of it's logic and lateral thinking, then proving one way or another which set of folk are actually related to you, if there's multiple names or a missing census entry (usually cos the enumerators were awful at spelling!).

FreeBMD is the basic source outside of the census records, and very good too. You can get at an older database through Ancestry but the up to date one's on their own site. Better search engine too. And they are begging for volunteers to transcribe records!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2006, 17:44:26 »
I have managed to get back into the 1700's on mums side.  However, several skeletons hiding in cupboards cropped up and has made things a little difficult, both with family politics and working out the real info.  After Christmas mum is coming to stay for a long weekend and we are going to invest in Ancestory and genes reunited and see what else we can find.  It isn't a cheap job is it!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2006, 17:54:59 »
So wish that we had asked our parents all the questions we now seek to answer. Too late.

But, beware -  as we get older, our reminiscences are not always to be relied upon.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 17:57:33 by tim »

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2006, 20:04:40 »
Seems to be a popular pastime at the moment.  I was walking along the street this morning and a man hailed me over.   He was wondering if I could do his Family Tree.  That is now 2 on the go.  It makes the winter afternoons more interesting I suppose. 

:D :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2006, 20:38:24 »
I'm with Tim on asking before it is too late....
Mum and Dad both been dead so long, a decade and two decades respectively even their siblings are sadly depleted.. got a phone call from a cousin in Canada who had emigrated when I was 5 (1966) that got us all going again...
 ;D
Got me going again Greyhound just been on that link for an hour!
 ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 21:22:48 by saddad »

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2006, 21:24:01 »
really pleased to find this thread; my two obsessions growing food [& eating it!] & family history.  I seem to have reached a bit of an impass but will keep trying.  One of the first things I did was Google an ancestor with an unusual name & the first thing which came up was a very elaborate Gedbrowser file going back to the 17th century & including lots of my ancestors.  Also found a descendant of my GG grandfather's brother on Genesreunited. 

Anyone found a good way of recording it all?  I'm not happy with it all just recorded on Ancestry.co & would like some sort of hard copy but it's got a bit big!

Suey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2006, 21:57:03 »
I had an email today from www.ancestry.com letting me know that they are offering free access to their Immigration Records until November 30th  ;D  Handy for anyone trying to trace ancestors who may have gone to the USA  ;)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2006, 22:19:17 »
Marymary, if you know anyone who bought the Sunday Times last weekend it had a free copy of Family Tree Maker 2005 with it.  On another forum people have been chatting about it and seem very impressed, a friend is pleased with it too, I have loaded it but have got no further.  It seemed to have some good means of recording family trees.  It might be worth a try?

T.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2006, 22:42:36 »
My problem is we have very common names for the areas  from whence we hail so it makes tracking down quite hard. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal