Author Topic: Is this a Morning Glory seedpod?  (Read 2203 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Is this a Morning Glory seedpod?
« on: July 24, 2005, 23:20:52 »
hi there,
please tell me that is it a seedpod of my morning glory?
Because I haven't seen this last year ??? ???
When can I tell that is ready to collect please?

yuet

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Is this a Morning Glory seedpod?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 23:42:48 »
Well, it could be, it's hard to tell from the pic.  When Morning Glory seed pods are ready to collect they are a lovely golden brown colour and look very papery.  Be careful, one touch and they 'explode' so hold a container underneath them as you try to harvest.  Good luck.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 23:57:57 »
Looks more like a flower bud.

ndkc2003

• Not So New ...
  • Zak - the other man in my life.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:40:37 »
Hello, new to the site this morning, I would agree it looks more like a flower bud.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 13:22:23 »
Had a look at mine at lunchtime, and I would say the one on the right could be a seed head. They are fatter and rounder than the buds and if you look down into them they are closed up with a kind of criss cross on them?! Will try and take a photo for you of one of mine if you like? but ran out of time at lunch time.

Actually had not occurred to me that my morning glory was going to seed as the flowers fall off themselves after one day (or they do on mine) I have never had chance to dead head it!! I have so much to learn!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 18:51:37 »
It definitely looks like morning glories about to open.  Mine are of a heavenly blue ! Incredible plants and so vigorous !

Good luck with them.  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 22:50:47 »
I never bother to deadhead mine, and they seem to keep flowering until frost regardless. Last year a lot of seed set, and it's coming up all over the place this year. Luckily, it's very easy to pull out!
The seed pods are fatter and rounder than the picture; they're also brown, as someone has already said.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 23:21:45 »
the fat round green pod is the seed pod. If you leave it, it will eventually turn brown and papery and the seeds inside are black. The pods will stay on the plant until you remove them and you don't need to faff about with paper bags, just let it dry naturally on the stem.

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 23:41:00 »
Thanks for everybody's help! I'll keep an eye on when they gone brown to collect for next year :)
yuet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal