Author Topic: acorn squash - has anyone grown before?  (Read 1377 times)

Swede Pea

• Not So New ...
acorn squash - has anyone grown before?
« on: July 25, 2005, 19:09:42 »
Hello everyone!

I have 2 acorn squash plants and they are not really producing anything that avoids going rotten.  Is this normal?  The little future squashi get to about the size of a golf ball then start to go a bit mouldy even when protected with slate underneath.  In fact they start 'going' on top where nothing is even touching them. 

Advice on acorn squash is few and far between in my books but I have now seen a piccie of what it should look like on an internet site.  Quite a strange looking thing really!

Thanks for any advice!

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: acorn squash - has anyone grown before?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 20:35:58 »
I germinated some seed from an acorn squash that i bought from the supermarket and got a few palnts which went on the plot.  However, I dont know which is which as I forgot to label them so I am of no help I'm afraid.
Get with the beat Baggy

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 21:49:57 »
Not grown acorn squash, but I've had this happen on other squashes. I think it's probably because they've not been pollinated - seems to happen early on when flower production hasn't got fully under way. Try hand pollinating or just wait a bit longer and I bet there'll be some healthy little acorns soon!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 22:52:10 »
I grew acorns last year, and have them again this, and they are going great guns.  As periwinkle suggested, I think the problem is poor pollination.  Last year I had masses that were big and firm (in fact I still have a yellow acorn in my conservatory!) plus, towards the end of the season, I started picking the smaller ones whilst still tender and roasting them whole!

Swede Pea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 01:13:24 »
thanks for the tips - looks like I'll need to gee up the romancing process lets hope some baby acorns arrive soon..... ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal