Author Topic: A humble herb?  (Read 3132 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
A humble herb?
« on: July 21, 2005, 19:15:17 »
May I humbly suggest - to those who will heed - that MINT is sadly under-appreciated.

With lamb (whole or minced), cucumber raita, rice, teas, fish, desserts, Mint Julep, cottage/goat's cheeses, potatoes, peas, carrots.........??
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 11:25:07 by tim »

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
Re: A humble herb?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 19:17:05 »
i made the most amazing mint and apple jelly as well as mint ice cream this year, absolutely gorgeous!
It'll be better next year

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 21:54:46 »
Used mint tonight  in a cumin, yoghurt and mint raita! Dolloped on lamb koftas in pitta breads, lovely!
We also love it in tomato, cucumber sald.
I agree with you Tim, a most underused herb  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 22:07:12 »
Agree totally Tim - that's why the patio is being over run by pots of mint - garden, spearmint, apple (which is lovely)......  need to build the collection up a bit more  :) .

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 22:48:46 »
Have you tried growing ginger mint? Green and yellow stripy leaves, but VERY rampageous.

I use the apple mint when cooking new potatoes, lovely.

I also have a very pretty curly leaved variety.  Not such  a thug!

Mint in the vinegar over beetroot is good.

Have you tried mint in bramble pie?  That's scrummy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 15:38:23 by flowerlady »
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 11:50:58 »
I've got some Moroccan mint which is not too invasive but I like the common mint for flavour.  I like that cucumber and mint Greek dish, oh what's is called ?  Tzatziki or sommat!  Can't beat it for spuds though but I do tend to try it with everything  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:32:37 »
Mint and yoghurt is a common Greek dressing, I can vouch for how delicious it is on grilled meat, or salad.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 16:01:03 »
Raita or Tzatziki are also both great at cooling down a curry that gets too hot!! :P

Agreed Tim, a much underrated herb.

Recipe for Ice Cream / Sorbet

A good handful of mint (stripped from stems)
4 oz sugar
1/4 pt water
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 pt double cream

(Sorbet:  2 egg whites instead of cream)

Bring water and sugar to the boil stirring until all sugar has dissolved.
Boil for 3 Min's and allow to cool.
Wash mint leaves, place in blender pour over syrup and blend thouroughly.
Strain through sieve pressing as much mint through as possible.
Add strained lemon juice, pour into ice tray.

Freeze for about 1 hour - until "soft frozen"
Put back into blender, blend well then fold into the lightly whipped cream.
Pour back into container and freeze.

Before serving - Remove from freezer 1 hour and leave in fridge.  Top with fresh mint sprig!

Sorbet:substitute egg white for cream - remove only 10 -15 before serving from freezer.

Enjoy!

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 18:24:37 »
Isn't it funny??

We so often read complaints about chillies not being hot enough.

And then we try frantically to put the fire out??

After years in India, & a devoted 'curry' cook, I'm a 'taste-all-those-lovely-spices' fan.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 18:33:40 »
pineapple mint- my favourite, tryed to collect all the mints i could once- advice to anyone else wishing to do the same- use separate pots or one will take over.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 19:55:20 »
I love curry too and went to curry classes which I enjoyed immensely.  The folk there were a real mixed bunch.  In my class was the old heavy weight professional boxer, Peter Bates, who was a lovely gent.  There was a pest control guy who always turned up with something -  often a rabbit or a pheasant which are great tandooried  ;D

I'm growing coriander, mint, fenugreek, a german mooli type radish and spinach oh and fenugreek (just sowed some seed on lotty) I think courgettes were made to go in pakora.  That and cauli  :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 11:13:37 »
i'm looking forward to making your mint ice cream ~for my eldest son snake who adores anything minty
thanks for the recipe fl ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 23:57:16 »
Had chums over for a barby today and I had some lovely thick lamb chops.  Picked loads and loads of mint, chopped it up, mixed with some nice olive oil, poured into a bag and plonked the chops in.  Squidged it all around and left it to marinade overnight in the fridge.  Oh my were they fabulous and my darling cooked them perfectly, slightly rare, not burnt so the flavour of the mint could be tasted along with the juicy lamb. YYYUUUUUMMMM

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 10:15:18 »
Delish, delish, delish  ;D ;D ;D   Wish I'd been there ;D   I too was being creative in the kitchen as I have a red pepper (hurray) made pizzas and on the top I drizzled my very own basil mixed with olive oil and a tad of balsamic

Smug mode engaged once again  :)

Bluejane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 17:04:14 »
Has anyone got any ideas for using chocolate mint? Was given a small plant as a bit of an oddity, and it really does smell of After Eights - now, as is the way with mint, it's taken over a large chunk of the herb garden and needs taking down a peg or two.... I'll definitely try it in Flowerlady's ice cream - which sounds lovely - but any other ideas?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 12:20:17 »
Just adore mint. Must remember to put some in with the spuds tonight (forgot last time!)

I just love the smell of it when I accidently brush up against it in the garden. (Apple mint)

I chop mine in half and pot up every spring, so will have far too much soon! (must do some swapsies next time!)
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal