Author Topic: Collection of Clematis  (Read 3640 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re: Collection of Clematis
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 09:55:49 »
Hi Marianne!
I'm so pleased your clematis is doing well now. It's lovely to hear when advice has been successful. Now you come to mention it the Blue Angel (first picture shown) is growing through my winter jasmine. You'll have to post piccies for me!!!

Hi Moggle!
I think that as a general rule, clematis do ok in pots if they aren't going to grow too big. Up to about 8 ft is reasonable - and you could get away with up to 10ft - but bear in mind they will need something to climb up! You will need good size pots - a minimum of 18 inches deep and 18 inches diameter. Avoid plastic pots because they overheat, ensure the base of the plant is in shade, and the soil should be well drained. Water them regularly and sometimes with tomato feed.

The varieties I have in pots are Silver Moon (the 4th picture shown) and Sunset (planted together, and I've got them in a hanging basket), Madam Julia Correvon (7th picture), and Sieboldii (5th picture). I've recently planted Constance in a pot but can't report on it's success yet! I hope this helps you.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 10:08:40 »
Hi Plocket, I will try and post pictures asap.

Have a lovely day !
 :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 11:18:21 »
Wow growing through cotoneaster sounds gorgeous. I might have to think of that when mine are a bit bigger! I'm still increasing my collection but finding space is very difficult. As I don't have much more wall space (the garden is tiny) I'm using spiral supports for many of them, and containers. I've got an Elizabeth montana too, but have just done successful cuttings of Marjorie which will go in the front garden to disguse some really boring fir trees. I've got 30 odd clems at the moment...

30! How big is your garden Plocket? (in other words; how tiny is tiny?)

Ive just done a rough count of mine - I have 13 in a 100ft by 30ft garden space (yep i know plenty of room for more!)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 11:21:58 by Garden Cadet »

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 13:52:05 »
Hi Garden Cadet - I think it's approximately 50m2. It's L shaped so difficult to measure mentally!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal