Author Topic: Collection of Clematis  (Read 3639 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Collection of Clematis
« on: July 21, 2005, 15:34:27 »
Some of the clems in my garden that are flowering at the moment:

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Collection of Clematis
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 15:54:23 »
Lovely Plocket. I can't pick a fav because they are all so nice!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 18:21:26 »
ooooo I can!  Pics number 4, 5 and 6 are out of this world!  Great pics Plocket!!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 18:27:47 »
Hi EJ - No.4 (soft mauve with white wall background) is Silver Moon. No.5 (creamy not fully open with purple centre) is Sieboldii. And the last one (purple bells with cream edges) is Blue Eclipse.

Thanks for your positive comments!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 18:54:03 »
plocket  there are all beautiful i am so jealous i love them all , the only one i can seem to grow is Montana Rubens i dont have any luck with them , have just bought bill MacKenzie and 2 honeysuckle to cover some trellis lets hope they are still there next year

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 18:58:44 »
Hi Dibber! Bill Mc is fairly tough and I hope you'll be ok with it. It's fairly rampant (10-15ft), so I hope you've got space for it! If you are unsure about pruning, just cut some of it back in spring and leave some to do it's own thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 22:13:01 »
super collection ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 23:19:10 »
Plocket you have spoilt it!!! I was going to show off and say that I could name no 5. ;D ;D ;D LOvely pics. I have got three little flowers on Princess Diana (more buds to open) they are very small flowers and can't really get pic yet. Thank you so much Lorna.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:58:54 »
Oh I'm sorry Lorna!!! But your Sieboldii flowered before mine, and you have the gorgeous Princess Di! Do post a piccy when you can! Px

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 09:39:27 »
What a lovely selection Plocket - beautiful photos :)  A few there I would love to have, but I am afraid I am running out of wall space :D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 09:41:55 »
I have that problem too Gardengirl - so I grow some together, some in pots.... I'll always find space for a clematis that I "need"!!!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 12:17:54 »
thanks for the info plocket , i do have the space for bill mck so i hope it will do well

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 12:29:30 »
Great pics.

Would I be right in thinking no.8 (bottom right) is 'etoile violette'?  I have this one. Its put on the best show so far this year (only about 3 years planted).  Starting to go over now but it still looks great!  ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 12:39:34 »
It certainly is Etoile Violette Garden Cadet - gold star for you! It was my first ever clematis a few years ago now, and I've been addicted to clematis ever since. If anyone wanted to start growing clematis I would recommend it, or another viticella. It's always a stunner and I'm sure you will get many years of joy from yours.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:23 »
Thanks Plocket. You cant beat the viticellas for flower power in the late summer. I have a purple one by the front door which came with the house (didnt plant it). Its growing in a sun baked position in poor soil (right by the house wall), but every year it goes berserk and flowers realy well. I have now started training it through a cotoneaster growing beneath the front lounge window, so as to get full benefit from the flowers.

I also have other late flowering types in the back garden as well as an armandii, two montanas and the hybrid 'nelly moser'. Love to have more but now sadly running out of growing spaces!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 13:12:36 »
Wow growing through cotoneaster sounds gorgeous. I might have to think of that when mine are a bit bigger! I'm still increasing my collection but finding space is very difficult. As I don't have much more wall space (the garden is tiny) I'm using spiral supports for many of them, and containers. I've got an Elizabeth montana too, but have just done successful cuttings of Marjorie which will go in the front garden to disguse some really boring fir trees. I've got 30 odd clems at the moment...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 14:45:55 »
HI again Plocket I think Garden Cadet has named one of my clems. Etoille Violette. There was a lot of ivy cut down and I thought I had lost this one. I planted a Victoria( one daughters name), in its place. Lo and behold I now have two clems in same pot. I  have taken pics (they are nearly finished now) also pics of Princess Diana. So when son downloads pics on to my PC and if they turn out OK will post them and perhaps you can tell me if it is a Etoile Violette.. I am seriously getting the bug, all your fault  ;D ;D Lorna

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 15:36:56 »
Hurrah! Another convert! I should start a club!!!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 21:12:26 »
What beautiful flowers Plocket !! Absolutely wonderful.  ;D  The top picture, bottom pink flower is in bloom in my garden right now.  Unfortunately, not sure of its name but beautiful.  I have fed my "Royalty" and it has produced more buds. You remember that is the one you told me to feed.  The other smaller flowers is putting out lots of green shoots and growing into my winter jasmine.  I am afraid I have forgotten its name too.

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful garden and for your good advice !
 ;) :D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 08:34:40 »
I really like the pinky red one at the bottom - love the colour! Plocket, are there ones that you've found do better in pots than others. My MIL has lots of fence that would look nice covered, but it is a driveway, so no ground to plant them in.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal