Author Topic: Another newbie - Chesterfield  (Read 2283 times)

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
Another newbie - Chesterfield
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:46:08 »
Hi all,

Just signed up to a 70 sq meter plot last weekend.   ::)

I'm lucky in that it is pretty clear - maybe a day's weeding, levelling and clearing big stones.  It was mucked well last year (apparently) but as I've missed the boat for many crops (planning to put some turnips in at the weekend followed by spring cabbage and spinach) I was planning to plant some alfalfa or other green manure - what would be best?

Must say, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in and am very pleased to have found such an active forum.  I've never had a lottie before but have grown small amounts of things in the greenhouse and backgarden for a few years now - any advice on getting started gratefully recieved!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Another newbie - Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 13:30:28 »
Where in Chesterfield? (Just wondering if you're near my godfather's plot)

moonbells (born and bred in C but now living and allotmenting in the Chilterns)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 14:20:17 »
Hi Bagpuss and Moonbells

Another Spireite here  :)  There's myself and  Johnny Large who I don't think's posted for a while but then neither have I.  Are you anywhere near the Brim lotties?  My brother has just taken on a plot there.

I've just sown some turnips but nothing showing yet.  Fingers crossed.  I hope you enjoy your lotty as much as I.  It's my first year on the plot and I won Best Newcomer's Allotment at our open day on Saturday so I was thrilled.  I've had a terrible bad back all year so I haven't dug but have got lots of veggies growing merrily away in all sorts of ways.  As for green manure I think on here they recommend phacelia as being a good one  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 15:29:47 »
Hi there I'm not too far away from you in Mansfield Woodhouse.
I've got a bed of Phacelia growing which I started digging in yesterday and also some red clover. Might be a bit late in the year to sow either of them now though (but maybe not) or you could try mustard which is a very quick grower but which is a brassica which should be borne in mind when planning your crop rotation.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 16:12:10 »
Thanks for the posts folks!  Nice to know there are other users local.

Moonbells & Wardy - I have a plot in Newbold - Stand Rd.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 21:20:24 »
From one 'baggy cat' to another - welcome to the nut house.
Get with the beat Baggy

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 21:46:14 »
Hi Bagpuss, welcome hope you enjoy your stay we are all busy B`s in the nicest possible way ;D ;D.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 10:32:39 »

I've just sown some turnips but nothing showing yet.  Fingers crossed.  I hope you enjoy your lotty as much as I.  It's my first year on the plot and I won Best Newcomer's Allotment at our open day on Saturday so I was thrilled.  I've had a terrible bad back all year so I haven't dug but have got lots of veggies growing merrily away in all sorts of ways.
OOOH congratulations!!!!!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 13:56:55 »
Ta Moonbells  :)  I'm very pleased with myself indeed - quite smug in fact  ;D

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 13:20:37 »
Thanks for the welcome all.

Managed to get half the plot cleared over the weekend - must be mad in that heat  :P.

Put some supposed fast growing turnips in  - how are yours doing Wardy?

Hope to clear the rest over the next 2 or 3 weeks then put some manure down and plan the rest.

I'm already thinking about asking Father Christmas for a shed or storage box to save me moving all the tools back and forth  :-\ bit worried they might all get nicked though!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 15:20:37 »
welcome on board.
lots of time to plant lots of stuff apart from green manure though
dont forget the lettuces and other salad crops, radishes, rocket (rucola), even pumpkins and squashes you could plant now (plants not seeds) - get yourself to the nearest garden centre and see what's what for that kind of stuff. the other things should be happily growing from seed.
also, try some early peas now. as they are quick maturing you should get a crop before the autumn :) i am giving this a try

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Annieapples

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 20:03:53 »
Had to jump in and say hello - i'm over in Matlock -  battling with 1/3acre of 10000ft high brambles, my children go to school in Newbold - St Marys - if you fancy a chat or a comparison of blisters and strains do get in touch :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 20:34:35 »
Hello, glad to have someone else from Chesterfield.  We seem to have lost Johnny Large (ARE YOU OUT THERE JOHNYY?) Not heard from him for a while.  Must go and surprise him on his plot  :)  I'm not far from Newbold but up Boza but always park up Newbold Road when I go into town.  I didn't know they had lotties in Matlock  :)  As for comparing blisters ..........   ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal