Author Topic: National Downshifting Week 2006  (Read 4790 times)

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
Re: National Downshifting Week 2006
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 14:08:49 »
Hi Aquilegia,

A lovely posting, thank you for putting that all down and I think you are doing amazingly well!

The key is in being happy with your level of downshift....and you should not say 'Using the bread machine' in a bad tone - the fact that you are baking is great, commendable even!  The difference of real bread is tremendous and I use mine all the time.  

I don't have the time to knead and pound dough every day and I don't feel guilty for it either, nor should you.  ;D  You are doing a tremendous job.

I find the successes often lead onto other lines of thought and it is a continual process, this heading towards a level of comfort and happiness, without the stresses of modern day living.

Good luck for your future adventures  ;D

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 14:14:50 »
Hello again!

We were posting at the same time there - just read your second one about composting.

Is there any space in the grounds of your work place to put one of the large composting bins you can get discounted from the council?

It only takes up a little space and everyone could be encouraged to take part with their organic waste and hopefully, it would lead onto them doing it at home too.

As you are the buyer, perhaps you could see if you could get any corporate discounts for the composting bins for your colleagues, passing on the good fortune or working for a large company  ;D

When the compost has rotted down, it is ideal for the pot plants every office has them! 

More importantly, it is giving out the message that we need to take more responsibility for our waste and we can turn it into something amazing - black gold!

Best of luck with it!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 14:17:14 »
You could put all the shredded paper in it too  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 15:49:21 »
Interesting thoughts.

We have a back yard, I suppose we could put one in there. And shredded paper too - hadn't thought of that (we usually recycle it). hmm...

I would hope the council would give us a discount - we are the council!

Oh yeah - that was part of my ethical shift - I didn't want to work for a private company anymore, so I was looking for a job in a charity/non-profit organisation/local government. Much happier at the end of the day knowing that I haven't spent seven hours making rich people richer, but actually helped someone.

Now I really must get back to charity shop clothes buying (on my two clothes shopping trips a year!)
gone to pot :D

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 20:13:16 »
AH!  Brilliant!

I will look forward to finding out what happens next - please drop me a pm or email in case I overlook the thread.

I adore charity shop shopping - I used to volunteer for the Home Farm Trust on a Saturday when my husband looked after the children.  Went in with one set of bags and always came home with another  ;D

You offer a shining example of what can be easily achieved and  I look forward to reading more of your posts.

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 21:14:18 »
I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but 90% of people will never escape the supermarket povety trap. :'(

I'm sorry if I sit here upset, maybe I'm a bit stupid. :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 08:35:59 by Miers »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 08:01:13 »
Hi Miers,

No you are not stupid at all - it's a valid statement!

You may be right in what you say about the apethy of taking some of these things on board, but I am hopeful your figures are not correct  ;D

There really is a huge lean towards people breaking away from the processed cycle, believe me, I get hundreds of emails and I realise they are a small representation of who's out there.

In my view, it is a question of taking some of these suggestions to the public and letting them know the ideas are no so crazy.

That is where people like you guys come in! 

I can only tell it via the media, but I believe there is a better chance for change if somebody passes the news onto a friend. 

They in turn pass it on and away we go.

The simple fact that you are interested in growing a few of your own fruit and veg is a great start!  The chemical free route is being hotly pursued, not least for the health benefits!

So while I am aware of your cynicism and I know I have an enormous task ahead of me, turn it into a personal mission to spread one message to somebody you know today, about composting, growing your own, or recycling, and I will be onto a winning start.

;D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 15:10:57 »
This is a complimentary site, Tracey. Been on it for about a week.

www.downsizer.net

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2005, 16:00:46 »
Hi Ken,

Yes, I know the guys at Downsizer - it's a very comprehensive and passionate site!

The creators wrote regularly on the River Cottage site, then broke off to do their own thing and to cover more subjects.

Another one you might like to look over, is www.ACountryLife.com run by Caroline and David Ekins.  Once again, another committed bunch of lovely people and what they don't know can be written on the back of a stamp  ;D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 17:29:40 »
Thank you Tracey....other sites I've found are on Google...frugal living and survivalism altho the latter is a bit nuclear bunker stuff.Also alt.energy.homepower and alt.energy.renewable.Wading thru all of google groups index is a bit daunting, and would prefer uk sites.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal