Author Topic: Bean problem - dying leaves?  (Read 1732 times)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Bean problem - dying leaves?
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:18:43 »
hello all,

i have a couple of bean leaves which have curled up and seem to have died off. i nipped them off thinking it must have been a spot of drought. but no matter what, this seems to occur too regularly to have anything to do with the watering, or lack thereof. i can't see any insects causing this, but one or two leaves looked a little silvery, as if they had some mildew on them ???
 generally though, they literally just shrivel off and die.

looked up the books but no mention of this.

the other one is a dotted leaf which goes yellow and dies off. could be chocolate spot or whatever it's called. should i be worried/take precautions? (natural remedies preferred)

any help? :-\

the yield doesnt seem to be affected so far - my yellow french beans are cropping heavily so far - alas my cannellini and canadian wonder aren't doing much at all. come to think of it, the first leaf problem mainly occurs on the canadian wonder.

thanks
svea
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:20:22 by Svea »
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Bean problem - dying leaves?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:56:51 »
no idea? :-\

found yesterday that the same has occured on my plot neighbour's french beans - while the runners seem to be unaffected.

if not a pest or disease - could it be a deficiency of some kind? something in the soil? unfortunately, i have no idea what was growing there last year, and all my veg is growing fine (with regards to nutrition).

help!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 09:34:17 »
Svea it could be wind damage on your bean leaves, I know it as knocked a lot of mind about this year.
                                  ;)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:38:37 »
Mine were killed off by frost on 4th and 5th June and the leaves look silvery and papery.  On the other hand could be wind damage as has been suggested  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 23:38:13 »
Svea - not sure if this is much help, but I've been worried about my runners as they seem very pale, almost a yellowy colour to the leaves and just dont look healthy (whereas my french beans, in the same bed, are luscious green and looking great  ???).  I spoke to one of the other plot holders today and apparently this has happened to another plot holder.  The beans have grown to the top of the poles and flowered well; mine are growing and starting to produce buds.  No idea what the problem is but fingers crossed (first ever time growing beans so hoping for something to show!). 

Hope yours are OK!   :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal