Author Topic: pet poo converter  (Read 3140 times)

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
pet poo converter
« on: July 18, 2005, 14:42:31 »
Anyone heard of this- came across it recently- i dont have a dog myself but was looking after a friends when it got me thinking how much waste it produced.
Emailed the company (www.tumbleweed.com.au), who told me the following:
Whilst we have had pathology testing on the worm farm which showed no harmful bacteria, we suggest that the castings and or liquid collected from a Pet Poo Converter only be used on pot plants and garden beds which do not bear edible food.
Has anyone got one of these, and if yes have they used the casts or liquid on edibles?
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Re: pet poo converter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 18:19:24 »
My westie craps for Scotland.
Is there really a use this profligacy can be put to?
Vaguely remember a Zola novel - The Earth - where a couple were shunned for putting their own poo on their garden, but that may have been because they had the biggest vegetables and those  so nice French people were jealous.
Seriously though - we can use dog poo?

return of the mac

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 18:41:44 »
What i was actually looking for was whether dogs and cats could be kept as vegans, as vegan poo is ok i believe. My local council strictly advise not to put poo in green cones though. I think really the lady whom emailed back just didnt want a legal backlash, so she advised against using the casts and liquid on edibles, just in case. Also found that keeping it at 55+ (i think) degrees for 48 hours kills even the most harmful bacteria.
The woman also said that it would soon be available in britain, so if you changed your westie to a veggie and used the pet poo converter, that could work very well.
Also found http://www.veggiepets.com/
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 00:09:28 »
Asked Hamish what he thought of being a vegan.
Maybe the wind release was just a coincidence...
What are these "green cones"?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 09:52:11 »
Green daleks, AKA compost bins. I have one alongside my black ones.

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 14:16:42 »
Thank you for that, Robert.

But they're not coned....

Will try out a smaller tub plus plant matter, and see what happens over the next year.

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 17:20:20 »
Oh.

Where are they found, these cones?

Do Councils provide them?

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 23:07:38 »
You are right about the cost.
My local authority doesn't have any arrangement/interest, though they are giving us some form of dalek for free next week!
Thanks for the info

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:57:33 »
 :) Pet poo can have worms, and especially toxicaria, this can if ingested cause terrible problems in kids.

Even if you keep up to date on all internal pests dogs and cats will eat vermin, fox poo etc. These pests have not ben treated and instantly re-infect your pet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to sound like a lecture but don't do it stupid idea.
Supernan!!

return of the mac

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 17:41:25 »
Supernan the pet poo converter has been rigourously tested for all bacteria and as the email says it is sound. The only precutions to take are no kids or pregnant women near the unit before "processing" by the worms.

To simply dismiss an idea that may in future reduce landfill consumption further than current composters is frankly backward and closed minded
I LOVE OP AMPS!

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 20:55:56 »
Having had a wormery for a number of years, poo from carnivorous animals was the one thing considered a no no. ???
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

return of the mac

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 22:36:44 »
It is not a wormery- it is specifically for pet poo and designed in such a way to prevent disease or smell
I LOVE OP AMPS!

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 17:27:30 »
Mac I am not minded to take offence, but you should really think carefully before using pet poo on your garden.

I don't add much to the waste mountain, I recycle everthing I can safely. My waste output this week of totally unuseable stuff was one swing bin liner. I buy second hand clothes, furniture, cars, even husband (when there was one) had previous use.

But I will not ever think you are correct about pet poo. MIND FIRMLY SHUT TO ANYTHING FURTHER YOU HAVE TO SAY ON THE PET POO MATTER.
Supernan!!

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 21:03:34 »
Put a greenhouse up in a garden with a similar thing it stunk .
But it was hot

return of the mac

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 22:45:31 »
www.tumbleweed.com.au - saying this: TRYED, TESTED AND USED SAFELY by thon folks at tumbleweed.

I love pets as much as the next guy but they crap like mad and it simply isnt sustainable or fair in a world where folk die every day in countries where a vaccine for a simple illness costs the same as a tin of dog food.

poo from carnivorous animals was the one thing considered a no no
A wormery for dog dodo satisfies the last big recycling problem that exists. It is designed as such also and to dismiss it so quickly is ignorant.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:56:29 »
Wow - this is a bit of a grumpy thread!

ROTM: I hope you will try and compost you're pet's poo. This is what the HDRA have to say about it:

http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg4.htm

Or get a Green Cone. I think the only 'irresponsible' thing you could do with pet poo is add it to landfill, or just leave it lying around.

Also, it's perfectly possible to raise a healthy dog on a vegan diet - after all they are omnivores. Whether you feel it is natural for them - or whether this matters - is up to you

Here's some info about dog foods available:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/care/dogs.php

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 06:51:25 by terrace max »
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

return of the mac

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 20:12:08 »
Now thats what i call open minded. Thanks Max ;)
I LOVE OP AMPS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal