Author Topic: Heaters.  (Read 2948 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Heaters.
« on: July 15, 2005, 22:47:36 »
What do you all have for heaters??

As this will be the first Autumn of my greenhouse, i am just wondering if i should buy one. Think i should really.

what are the best ones? i know about all the usual, paraffin etc, ones. anyone got any unusual ones?

Maybe dig a pit, fill with coal and bobs your uncle????  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Heaters.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 23:01:07 »
I couldn't believe my eyes!  :o  Heaters!  The temperature in my greenhouse during the day is hotter than my oven can get!!!! :o :o  However, nothing like planning ahead.  I bubble wrap my greenhouse for added insulation, and I save polystyrene to use around the bottom (nothing worse than a cold bottom!).  I used to use parrafin heaters, but as I am in, out, in, out, in, out with kid/family things, I would forget to turn it on/off and the greenhouse would get very damp inside and all of my cuttings would get hairy and die!  Now, my darling Ava has installed leccy, so I have a thermostatically controlled fan heater which goes in during January and comes out again at the start of April.  This does me fine, and I can forget about it totally!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:09:36 »
I would try parafin as it gives of CO2 and is realy cheap to run :D

Ya need ventilation if you are workin in the place!

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 13:22:59 »
Originally we had heater with gas bottle., we found that unless you had two gas bottles with change over gear it was  impossible to know when the gas was going to run out.(Can be disasterous)
About five years ago we bought electric heater and it is fantastic. The temperature never varies and this heater takes up far less space.
We worked out how much we spent on gas bottles and then what the electric heater cost and there was very little difference in cost.
Lorna.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 18:36:12 »
I too have run leccy up to our's, and I'm going to see if I can get away with undersoil heating cables - our greenhouse has 2x raised beds built-in, so it should might work....... :-\

Will also grow usual winter crop of flying pigs, which have proved as reliable as all of my other winter crops have been up to now ;D ;D ;D
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 13:38:29 »
We have an electric heater in ours kept at the bare minimum. So much better than paraffin that we used to have. One of my college lecturers said that she relied entirely on having heated cables on one of her benches. She would cover the plants over with fleece on the coldest days.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal