Author Topic: Fridge/freezers.  (Read 8925 times)

Diana

• Acre
Re: Fridge/freezers.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 12:24:08 »
I love my juicer, what's wrong with yours?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 12:25:53 »
Diana - I'm interested you use your old freezer for storage.  We decided to recycle ours this way too but it grows mouldy bits.  We've tried all sorts to clean it out.  Any tips?  It's a standard upright freezer with 6 drawers.
Obxx - Vendée France

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 12:52:20 »
Hi Obbelix

CAT has a factsheet about recyling as a hot composter:
http://www.cat.org.uk/catpubs/display.tmpl?sku=ts_hotc

I haven't had problems with mould. Do you use yours upright (as designed + fill the drawers) or flat like a chest freezer?

I'd suggest flat, sectioned off with crops placed in sand or compost (so no air around the draws, that way I don't think the mould can grow). Use it as you would if you were storing in boxes of sand etc, but the benefit is that it's insulated so crops stay a constant temperature.

I think there may be an article in a back issue of Organic Gardening that will explain better than I can. I'll have a look over the weekend + see if I can find it

Hope that helps + let me know how you get on

D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:55:59 by Diana »
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 13:15:14 »
Thanks Diana.  We already have three large compost bins so if I keep it it would be for storage.  We did originally put wine in there on the grounds that it would keep a more constant temperature in hotter weather.  Maybe the bottles had a bit of dirt on them or there was too much air space.

It's been so dry here we don't have enough root veg to store this winter but I shall keep it and have a go next year with the sand.

Obxx - Vendée France

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 13:39:28 »
My juicer is kerapp!  Bag of oranges should equal more than one teaspoon of juice.  Ended up with a mass orange left over

It's a Kenwood so I expected better things.  It's very fiddly and flimsy too.  To be fair it was only £9.99 (half price) Glad I didn't pay full price. 

My hugely expensive kettle has just bust as well so I'm feeling miffed with electricals  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 14:03:13 »
On a scale of water hardness, our water is 10, though otherwise pure and chemical free.   We gave up on electric kettles and now use a whistle kettle on the hob but not often as we drink coffee not tea.  The coffee machine needs descaling at least once a month.   Our irons used to die reguarly too so now we've got one one of those fancy high steam things with a water softening cartridge and a 10 yr guarantee.   We always add water softener tablets to the washing machine and they do OK - she said, touching wood.
Obxx - Vendée France

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 16:30:49 »
I think this was the prob with the kettle and irons too.  Can't keep pace. My dishwasher is the same and I've noticed the very fine filter is covered in rock hard deposits  Had to go out and get a cleaner thingy which I put in and ran through the wash programme.  Trouble was I forgot to take the plastic plug out of the top so none of the stuff came out.  I am a pillock  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 14:41:41 »
Bejams, that is a name to conjure with from my past too.  Got our first freezer from Bejams in Reading in 1981.  It was a big chest freezer  and lasted over 15 years and was great.  At that time I ate meat, and we used to get a £30 freezer pac from the butchers, which included 1lb steak, 1lb sausages, 1lb mince, a chicken, a leg of lamb a joint of pork and joint of beef. Incredible when I think back.

We made the decision to get an upright  Electrolux freezer after it died because I thought it would be easier to find things, but it has been awful.  It gets iced up really quickly, the drawer fronts snapped off and you can't open the drawers so you can't find things anyway.  When this one goes will be tempted to going back to a chest freezer again, though I envy you Tim  and everybody who has a big American fridge freezer they look fab.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 14:48:03 »
Wardy - we all have "blonde " moments (and I am one so I'm allowed to say it) and do daft things.  Try just using some cheap alcohol vinegar on your filter and kettle, let it fizz and bubble and dissolve the calcium and then rinse thoroughly as it can be corrosive if left.   Works well on tap nozzles too.
Obxx - Vendée France

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 14:53:54 »
I'll have a go at that as my tap ends are a bit scaly and my shower head

Ta  :)

Are you called Obelix relating to the Asterix books ?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2005, 15:11:12 »
I live in Belgium, home of the Belgae who had a leader called Ambiorix who beat the Romans in battle at Tongeren and impressed Julius Caesar no end with their fighting skills and ardour.  I call myself Obelix as a nod to him and because I was sitting staring at an obelisk when deciding my screen name.  Asterix is a Gaul.
Obxx - Vendée France

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 15:37:57 »
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any experience of, or own a walk in fridge (any milkmen out there) as I was thinking of buying/installing one - preferably secondhand?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2005, 15:49:04 »
Got locked in one once! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2005, 15:52:44 »
Wasn't that efficient then...... ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2005, 15:57:30 »
 ;D  ;D  Sketty!
Was at work, the lads removed the handle to see how hysterical I would get! Wasn't very pleasant being stuck in the dark surrounded by hanging sides of beef *shudder* BUt I didn't scream, wouldn't give them the pleasure! ;D

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2005, 16:02:45 »
Seriously though, if I'd been their boss I'd have fired them on the spot. >:(

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2005, 16:05:46 »
The head chef was involved! And we are talking many moons ago when us appretices were petrified of our head chefs!! :o
These might be handy for you to gander at!
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/ProductSubCategory.asp?TopGroupCode=C12&ParentGroupCode=S449

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2005, 16:09:22 »
Thanks DP, didn't think of Nisbets and they email me every month. :-[

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2005, 16:10:16 »
  I love em! ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2005, 18:10:12 »
Must re-inforce the vinegar tip given by Obbelix - it works and is far cheaper than stuff sold as de-scaler.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal