Produce > Recipes

Courgette & Roast Garlic Soup

(1/4) > >>

SpeedyMango:
Had a go at the Courgette & Roast Garlic soup recipe in this month's Kitchen Garden magazine.

Yum. Very tasty. The roasted garlic gives a nice sweetness (and it's less pungent). Freezable too. One of many courgette recipes I'll need this year if my six plants keep producing at the rate they are at the moment.

Courgette and Slow Roasted Garlic Soup

5 courgettes, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic in their skin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I grated it freshly)
1 tblspn olive oil
750ml stock (I used vegetable stock)
salt and pepper to taste

* Roast garlic in skin with a little oil on a low heat (150C, 300F, gas 2) for 30 mins.
* While garlic roasts heat remaining oil in large saucepan, add onion and celery and soften for 2 minutes, then add courgettes and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minteus or so.
* Remove garlic from oven and peel, add to pan along with stock and simmer for at least 20 minutes, until all ingredients have softened.
* Blend to semi-smooth consistency (not too much).
Season to taste and serve.
NB: if you're not using the oven for something else, garlic can be 'roasted' in 1 tblspn of olive oil a thick based pan over a low heat

Doris_Pinks:
Mmmmmmmmmm   sounds good!  Thanks!

Mrs Ava:
Yup, I have a jug full of good chook stock in the fridge and was planning to make this very soup.  So it was tasty huh?  And I can use up some courgettes, thank goodness!  ;D

SpeedyMango:
Very tasty. The nutmeg really made it - I would never have thought of using nutmeg with courgettes.

Mrs Ava:
Just to report in, made this very soup today, and just had a bowl full with some lovely crunchy bread, and it is DELISH!  I was amazed how just a couple of roasted garlic could flavour the entire soup, and as you say, the nutmeg really did work.  And a nice big tub full going into the freezer!  Five down, leaving me 18 more in the fridge.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version