Author Topic: Chocolate cosmos  (Read 3505 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Chocolate cosmos
« on: July 13, 2005, 11:26:01 »
My chocolate cosmos has just reared its head after a very  long winter. I thought it had died so bought another and taken cuttings. What is that all about? I know a lot of plants die down for the winter but we're now heading for autumn, if it doesn't get a move on, it'll be time to die down again. Anyone else have this?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Chocolate cosmos
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 15:33:25 »
i bought a bare root chocolate cosmos i tyred bringing on in the green house but nothing, have no problem with the other cosmos but the choc cosmos seems to be a bit harder

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 17:02:46 »
I wonder how they manage in the garden centres and nurseries. The one I bought is in flower, whereas mine in the garden has just about poked its nose through. and if you've tried in the greenhouse it can't be because its outside.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 22:27:10 »
My choccy waited until the first sunny spell in June before getting a move on, but it's now in bud.
Having said that, I bought it in November last year still in full flower, and it didn't die down until January, so maybe it's just on a different clock to other varieties.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 00:32:49 »
Like Amazin mine was also very late to start this year but is in bud...should open in the next few days I reckon

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 13:02:54 »
Just mine then ;D...probably thought I'd eat it, being such a choccy holic.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 22:58:56 »
Val, have you tried growing Berlandiera Lyrata?
It's known as the Chocolate Daisy, looks like a French Marigold and positively REEKS of chocolate! Plus it does well in dry conditions. You can get the seeds from Chilterns:

www.chilternseeds.co.uk

Grow it alongside the Cosmos, near an Akebia and just to the left of a Clematis Wilsonii - you'll be in Heaven!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 08:50:19 »
Thanks Amazin...I've got some seeds I want to order from Chilterns I'll put them on my list...BTW its  very addictive looking at Chilterns...like a kid in a sweet shop, You have to be very strong minded. ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 18:46:42 »
chocky cosmos is not a hardy plant it will not even stay alive on the south island. I have a bouganvillea that stays outside  and thrives, so the cosmos is a big softy.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 20:28:45 »
Thanks Val for reminding me about MY Chocolate Cosmos.  I realised I hadnot looked out for it recently as OH had weeded that part of the garden.   I just had a look and boy has it grown big.  It is twice the size of plant it was last year and guess what,  its in bud, a tight bud.  So, they are a bit lazy.  Will look forward to it flowering in a couple of weeks and maybe it will go on until September.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 10:15:31 »
Ah well it was a new plant last year so maybe as time goes on it'll bulk up and appear sooner. Heritage it has over wintered outside, I did mulch it well but we still had all that snow...I guess it must be hard frosts that do it, being by the coast our frosts aren't hard or many.I'm glad you said that Carol , so at least I know to expect it quite late on in the year.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 19:59:29 »
I did not realise that the Choc. cosmos was not a hardy plant.  Mine is growing against our conservatory facing N.W. and I live in Scotland!!! albeit the Borders.  We do get a bit of frost but we get more wind than anything, so its certainly a hardy plant in my garden.  I have had it for about 5 years now and each spring I look out for it and think its dead, but it usually popsup eventually. I do not mulch it for overwintering either.   

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 17:25:36 »
I have had this happen too. I got 3 bare root ones last year. i planted them all, but had to lift 2 because they were in the wrong place. These i overwintered in the greenhouse but they died. the 3rd one I left in the ground and mulched it for protection. It appeared to survive and start to grow but then dissapeared. i thought I had lost it. It wasnt until recently when i cut something back near where it was that it reappeared. in fact i nearly cut it back too, in my haste. It was apparently growing quite happily underneath this other plant (a perennial poppy), which i guess was giving it some protection.

Now having been 'pruned' in error it remains to be seen whether or not it grows and flowers this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal