Author Topic: Competition suggestion  (Read 4083 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Competition suggestion
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:22:45 »
I was wondering if we could divide the comp into categories?

I was thinking something like 'Gardens/plants/lotties/veg' for one and 'Anything else - non gardening' for the other.

Its just that the past few winners have been non gardening/lottie-ing photos. This is after all gardening website.

I kind of feel at a disadvantage when the majority of my photos are gardening based.

Just an idea..... ???

Yellow Petals

Re: Competition suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:30:23 »
I don't think I'd like it to be sub-categorised, I like how straightforward it is now, but I have to say I agree with the non-gardening type pictures.  Hopefully now things are starting to liven up in the garden/lottie, more of those type photos will be entered?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 13:53:19 »
I'm with YP, looking forward to more and more veggie/garden/allotment like pics now things are romping away.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 16:03:28 »
I think to put it into categories would spoil the competion completely. I wouldn't want to see only close ups of flowers or veg. I like the fact that,for instance my pic of banger racers was in amongst a magnificent seagull , a big wet nosed  bull and whole load of flowers. It competed on an even stage. The competiton reflects the interests of all the people who take part in this website. I strive to include something different every time in order to create interest and an element of fun. If my banger pic or Dan's football fans for example, were stuck in a "everything else" category they probably wouldn't be viewed as much because people generally will go to the wildlife and flowers.

I mostly find pics of individual veg boring so if the first winner of this comp had been in a veg category I would not ever have had a look and therefore missed a great picture.

Get out and take pictures,you don't have to restrict yourself to the garden or lottie. Reflect life in all its corners. Tell you what I saw today...a lone oriental poppy growing out from a wall, by a set of garages on a not so pretty estate. What category would that go in ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 19:36:19 by Heldi »

Yellow Petals

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 18:01:46 »
they probably wouldn't be viewed as much because people generally will go to the wildlife and flowers.

That would probably be because the common denominator on this site is gardening (in whatever form) so might be what most people would like to look at? (although the previous two comp winners say differently! lol)

Tell you what I saw today...a lone oriental poppy growing out from a wall, by a set of garages on a not so pretty estate. What category would that go in ?

That would go into the "Not so Pretty Estates" category of course.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 18:04:59 by Yellow Petals »

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 20:04:55 »
I'm not going to split the competition - so there ;D

The reason will become clear soon(ish) maybe !

I like the fact that people enter all kinds of pictures, and some of the non gardening pictures have been outstanding.

Cheers

Dan

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 23:36:47 »
Nice one Dan!  lol!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 23:52:22 »
OKAY OKAY! It was just an Idea I had. ::)

Guess we will stick to what we have. :o

Mind you it would mean you could enter more than once.  ;D

OOPS! :-[

Okay i'll shut up now. :-X

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal