Author Topic: MOLES!!!  (Read 1219 times)

Justy

• Hectare
MOLES!!!
« on: July 11, 2005, 20:21:30 »
went to lottie earlier with hubby who is very infrequent visitor and he called over to ask why the onions were growing on a mound.  I was a bit puzzled and thought he didn't realise that they push out of the ground as they swell.  Until I went over and saw.... a bloody great mole hill under the onion bed!!   :o

The onions seem ok at the moment but I am a bit worried that it will end up under everything.  Would this be a problem and if so what is best way of getting rid of them?!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: MOLES!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:56:50 »
Moles can reek havoc in a garden, they tunnel extensively and can shift loads of earth.

If you want to remove them you have two choices, poison or traps. I prefer traps.

There are also ultra sonic deterrants but I cannot vouch for them.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 15:10:49 »
i use windmills to deter moles,  you know, the sort you get at the seaside.  apparently they think the vibrations are people.  i don't find moles to be too much trouble they do NOT eat your crops and mole-hill soil makes excellent compost!
It'll be better next year

linty

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 20:25:20 »
if you bury wine bottles with just the neck above ground the wind whistles down the bottle and that should deter them.So i am told so CHEERS Lyn

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 13:34:29 »
Thanks - I like the wine bottle idea as that may help get rid of the birds too!  Can't bear the thought of killing the moles - I know their hills are a pain but they are so cute and at least they don't eat my stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal