Author Topic: advice needed tomatoes  (Read 2216 times)

xqbgal

• Not So New ...
advice needed tomatoes
« on: July 10, 2005, 01:55:54 »
My Gartenperle tomato plants wre very healthy and strong looking, but now the flowers are dropping and some of the leaves are turning yellow, very few fruits are setting. Any idea what could be wrong?

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: advice needed tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 02:24:42 »
Premature flower drop could be due either to over or underwatering. Are they in bags?
Are the leaves turning yellow in a particular way? If the leaves are turning a pale overall yellow they could be suffering fron nitrogen deficency (which can be caused by over or under watering too or a lack of fertiliser) or if the leaves are displaying random yellow spots this could indicate the onset of late blight. If the leaves are turning yellow around the edges first then this sort of marginal chlorosis is associated with potassium deficency. Tomatoes have a high demand for potassium during the entire fruiting process so a deficency can be easily induced and a severe deficency will also lead to bud drop. Another common chlorosis is magnesium deficency which is typically characterised by marked interveinal chlorosis of the tissue between the veins on the leaves on the mid growth of the plant, more noticeable because the surrounding tissue tends to be dark green. A more specific description of the symptoms would be useful. Given the season I'm assuming your plants haven't been chilled lately.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:06:17 »
While we're on the topic can anyone help with this tomato question...

I bought two plants from a charity shop and they are littered with fruits.  I then grew my own which have plenty of flowers but there doesn't seem to be any fruit.  How does the fruit start ?  Do the tomatoes just come or do I need to let th bees into my greenhouse to start them off? Or do I do the old paintbrush trick and pass the pollen from flower to flower...

Sorry of this is a elementary question...

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 11:10:28 »
 :D hi quinney how's the babe?? Hope you are getting some sleep.

I am repeating EJ here open the door pollenators will get in. If in doubt get the brush out.
Supernan!!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 12:35:24 »
Hi Quinny! Check out the recent aubergines and peppers thread whih has info on this pollinaton topic. You don't need insects - a breeze will do or just gently tap the plants so they move around a bit. Or the brush or fingers method if you have the time!!

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 19:55:08 »
Thanks guys, someone always comes to the rescue on this site.

Sleep?  what's that?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 22:04:41 »
I grew Gartenperle last year. The leaves looked poor and yellowish, but although it took some time, after a while I got absolutely loads of small pinkish red tomatoes. I grew in a 3 litre pot, fed correctly etc, but the leaves still looked awful. I normally have no problem at all growing tomatoes either in pots or direct in the soil, so maybe its just this variety. The problem is that this is advertised as being suitable for pots, hanging baskets etc and I expected it to look good as well as being productive. Well it was productive, but always looked as if it was half dead.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:30 »
Quinny,

Most modern tomatoes have the poleen producers and receptors inside the flower so just taping the trust (gently) should ensure polination - according to the Washington State University:

"Tomato flowers come complete with both male and female organs and are self-fertilizing. Pollen is shed with great abundance between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on dry, sunny days. Normally, the wind will pollinate the flower sufficiently. To ensure better pollination, gently shake or vibrate the entire tomato plant. The best time to do this is midday when it's warm, and the humidity is low. Optimum fruit set occurs within a very narrow night temperature range of between 60° F and 70° F. When tomato plants experience night temperatures lower than 55° F or above 75° F, interference with the growth of pollen tubes prevents normal fertilization. The pollen may even become sterile, thus causing the blossoms to drop. High daytime temperatures, rain, or prolonged humid conditions also hamper good fruit set. If the humidity is too low, the pollen will be too dry and will not adhere to the stigma. If the humidity is too high, the pollen will not shed readily. Pollen grains may then stick together, resulting in poor or nonexistent pollination. "

So a quick tap at lunch time with our current nightime temps of ~ 15 C should have you asking for advice on what to do with your glut of tomatoes!!

Phil

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:52:24 »
I have trailing toms that the leaves all look rubbish on!  (Plus its not very trailing, its still growing upwards!  So much for my hanging basket 'cascade'!)  But the fruits have come in, now all covered in little green fruits :)  I was also hoping for a better looking plant, but never mind!

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 14:15:02 »
Mine were growing nothing but leaves - had a few flowers and 3 tiny toms growing on one out of 3 plants.

I had some flowers but they weren't doind much so i got rid of all the excess foliage and all the mini branches that just had leaves and were getting in the way.

They seem to be doing alright now - although are a little naked!
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 14:33:36 »
Well said, Phil!

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 18:57:05 »
Nice one Quinny.  She looks a little gem.

I'm growing Tornado for the first time down the lottie and am a bit surprised.  I knew bush tom's didn't need much staking but I did at least expect them to get their bums out of the muck before they started flowering.  There are 6 plants, no higher then 18" and all fruiting well.  The problem is the fruit drags the stems down even lower and I've had to prop some up so they are off the ground.  I'll be picking these on my hands and knees!  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal