Author Topic: Emergency Contact Scheme  (Read 15187 times)

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
Re: Emergency Contact Scheme
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:26 »
We got an email about this sent round at work - a small problem with it though...

It's likely that you already have your next-of-kin's number in the phone. If you enter it again as 'ICE' then when they call you, your phone can't decide what name to display and usually ends up just showing the number.

Also, why not add a space before 'ICE' so that it appears at the start of your phone book. Or simply add it to the existing entry for your next-of-kin.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 11:35:14 »
I don't have a mobile phone. Hate the things!

It's just occured to me that the only form of ID I carry with me are my bank cards with my name on. I don't have anyone's numbers on me as I have them all in my brain. (fat lot of good that would be if my brain wasn't in use anymore!)

Must get writing...
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 15:17:41 »
Some very good points in there - especially from the paramedic who pointed out that:

a) the ICE system could also be useful for paramedics trying to find out the medical history of an unconcious patient, and therefore...

b) to those people who say they already have numbers stored under HOME or MUM etc - that might not be the best person to contact in such an emergency. I am not sure I would want my mother to be the first person to hear I've been involved in an accident, especially if she's on her own when she takes the call.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 22:37:34 »
To those people who say they already have numbers stored under HOME or MUM etc - that might not be the best person to contact in such an emergency. I am not sure I would want my mother to be the first person to hear I've been involved in an accident, especially if she's on her own when she takes the call.

>:( I would if she was still on this earth God bless her, she would be probably be the only person in the World that knows all about my warts and all and would be at my side in a flash nurturing me back to life. :-*

I think people are making a big issue out of this mobile phone thingy and I have no doubt that major companies like Vodaphone are jumping on the band wagon in the hope that it will promote more business and I'm sure it will. ::)

You will be lucky if your mobile phone will hold a charge longer than 3days maybe 4. Best hold your breath that you don't fall ill on the 5th day ::)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 10:19:04 »
You must have an old phone Roy  :). Mine holds it's charge for well over a week, even with occasional use.

It's not a compulsory scheme, and I am sure nobody is going to buy a mobile phone purely to record an ICE number, thereby increasing Vodafone's sales.

Surely making a 'big issue' about it is the whole point? If it does help speed up the identification process of accident victims (and not necessarily fatalities, it took a long time to identify all the hospital cases from last week) then is it anything less than a good thing?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:21:44 by SpeedyMango »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 23:35:46 »
It’s definitely an old phone as I bought it last October, my Daughter tells me they are old after a couple of weeks, I don’t know how true that is, but hi tech and crazy frog prevails. ::)

Apparently if you mention brand names where there are likely to be a lot of people that will see it or read it then their sales increase, ::) That’s why they put silent adds on the borders of Football/Cricket/Rugby/ Snooker games that do get caught on Television, ‘Bill Boards’ have the same effect as do none commercial TV programs like ‘Gardeners World’ that have to give credit to the many suppliers and make over progs that say “Thanks to” etc. etc. It works apparently. :(

But you are right there may be some good that may come out of it, bit like Green Shield Stamps. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal