Author Topic: Emergency Contact Scheme  (Read 15188 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Emergency Contact Scheme
« on: July 08, 2005, 21:14:07 »
This was just posted on the www.impsight.co.uk (independent Lincoln City website) message board and it seems like a good idea to me.

Imp4Life Posted on 8/7 18:30   Email this Message | Edit | Reply
Join The ICE Campaign
As most of us own mobile phones and in view of yesterday's events, can you all please spread the word about a simple yet really good idea which was launched recently by the East Anglian Ambulance service.

It's called ICE - which stands for In Case of Emergency and was launched Bob Brotchie of the Ambulance Service and Falklands war hero Simon Weston, in association with Vodafone’s annual Life Savers Awards.

I have put the link below but basically the idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able
to quickly find out the name of your next of kin and be able to contact
them.

For more than one contact name put ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

You might also like to e.mail this to everybody in your address book, it
won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It
really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

Link : http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/content/news/newsdetail.asp?newsID=646104183

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Emergency Contact Scheme
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 21:19:08 »
really good idea - I am going to do it right now.  Thanks!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 21:24:03 »
It all sounds very good on the surface, but don't we already put our next of kin on our mobiles. Mine starts with my wife, daughter1, daughter2, MIL (:o) etc.etc. I don't put my milkman or bank manager before any of those do you ???

Most phones have speed dial facility and those are listed in order of priority :D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 21:26:37 »
true Roy but I guess that if it was full scale s***t like yesterday to just be able to go straight to someones emergency contact could save time for someone who may have hundreds of numbers to ring.  Also my phone is just listed under peoples names and their relationship would be unknown to the emergency bod.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 21:42:21 »
Sorry can't agree :D and a slight exaggeration about hundreds of numbers to ring ::) and presumably you don't have speed dial that a lot of lazy peeps like me use? As it is designed to contact nearest and dearest in a hurry especially whilst driving when it is safe to do so.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 21:46:56 »
meant hundreds of potential casualties families!  Never figured out the speed dial  :-[

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 21:48:34 »
I'll do it - twice as sure then.
Get with the beat Baggy

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 00:09:58 »
The point is that the emergency services do not need to scroll through your address book looking for names that may be listed as your nearest and dearest nor do they need to work out your quick dial methods (do not suppose they carry manuals for all the thousands of phones out there).  It means they will have one thing and one thing only that they have to look for in your number list to be able to contact a person who really needs to know about you and who may also be able to provide detailed medical information that may assist in your treatment (i.e. pre-existing conditions or allergies)  I think it is a bit churlish to criticise this personally.  There is no hidden intent here - it is just meant to make life easier and safer for everybody.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 00:13:34 by redclanger »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 01:24:42 »
I think you have missed the point, if someone is in dire need of help, the main concern of medical staff is to get the patient into hospital as quickly as possible, last on the list after the patient is settled must surely be for a nurse to ask the patient if there is anyone they would wish to let know of their predicament, unless of cause you are dead in which case there is no dire need. Then of cause we may not even own a mobile phone, so contents of your wallet or hand bag may be investigated.

With regard to people knowing each others medication, well I don't believe anyone could reel off a list of tablets that their husband wife or partner takes, unless it is only one item, I take 7 and my wife doesn't have a clue what I take.

We have managed quite happily for more years than I can remember without a mobile phone, it's a nice luxury and fun with all those games and ringtones, oh and a camera and internet, how on earth did we manage without it.

Apologies if I sounded rude in my post, but we are allowed to voice our opinions ::)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 01:43:45 »
I have a genetic life-threatening condition. If I'm taken to hospital in an emergency, and I'm conscious, it's okay - I can explain things to medical staff. But if I'm not, my next-of-kin knows all about it and can give them vital information which could save my life. 

Roy, are you sure your wife doesn't know which medication you take? Or is she just being subtle about it?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 08:53:47 »
In your case Amazin, then I would wear an SOS trinket / necklas or carry a card on my person explaining my needs, I wouldn't rely on my mobile phone as knowing my luck it would be stolen :)

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 09:01:35 »
I still think you are missing the point Roy.  It is not meant as the only way but as another way that has a universally known code so saves time should it be needed.  And it is a scheme that is being promoted by East Anglian Ambulance and if they (the first responders) think it is a good idea, who am I to knock it.

Help out in a crisis - with ICE           

A Cambridge-based paramedic has launched a national campaign with Vodafone to encourage people to store emergency contact details in their mobile phones.

Bob Brotchie, a clinical team leader for the East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust, hatched the plan last year after struggling to get contact details from shocked or injured patients.

By entering the acronym ICE – for In Case of Emergency – into the mobile’s phone book, users can log the name and number of someone who should be contacted in an emergency.

The idea follows research carried out by Vodafone that shows more than 75 per cent of people carry no details of who they would like telephoned following a serious accident.

Bob, 41, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said: “I was reflecting on some of the calls I’ve attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person.

“It’s difficult to know who to call. Someone might have “mum” in their phone book but that doesn’t mean they’d want them contacted in an emergency.

“Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we’d know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know of their medical history.”

The campaign was launched this week by Bob and Falklands war hero Simon Weston in association with Vodafone’s annual Life Savers Awards.

Vodafone spokesperson Ally Stevens said: “The Life Savers Awards already demonstrate, through practical example, the important role a mobile phone can play when minutes matter in an emergency.

“By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will now also help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative – which could be vital in a life or death situation.”

The campaign is also asking people to think carefully about who will be their ICE partner - with helpful advice on who to choose - particularly if that person has to give consent for emergency medical treatment.

Bob hopes that all emergency services will promote ICE in their area as part of a national awareness campaign to highlight the importance of carrying next of kin details at all times.

He said the idea was for the benefit of loved ones as well as the patient.

“Research suggests people recover quicker from the psychological effects of their loved one being hurt if they are involved at an earlier stage and they can reach them quickly," he added.

He said he hoped mobile phone companies would now build the ICE contact into future models, adding: "It's not a difficult thing to do. As many people say they carry mobile phones in case of an emergency, it seems natural this information should be kept there."

Nominations for the Life Savers Awards can be made by contacting the awards hotline on 0870 902 3333 or visiting www.vodafone.co.uk/lifesavers

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 23:32:21 »
I already do both, Roy. But the more the merrier.

You could always put A4A as your emergency contact - then if anything happened to you, they could arrange for emergency watering of your plants
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 11:27:59 »
I like the idea and have now put it in mine and my childrens phones.
Thanks for that, redclanger

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 22:07:51 »
I have often found phone in cab and the first thing I look up is "mum" or "home" I will now edit my new post about this cos I don`t get around much!!! will put it in mobile though,just got new one which holds more names,the old one I had to delete least important each time I wanted to add one!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 22:37:04 »
I heard it being discussed on the radio this afternoon.  I will do it and make sure Ava, mum and sis all do the same, but also people, you should really keep next of kin details in your wallets or purses.  I do because I often nip out without my phone.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 22:50:48 »
other half is not good if penecilin injected so got bracelet with details on inc.heart murmur etc.

Not allowed to wear it at work :-\

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 23:13:46 »
I heard it being discussed on the radio this afternoon.  I will do it and make sure Ava, mum and sis all do the same, but also people, you should really keep next of kin details in your wallets or purses.  I do because I often nip out without my phone.

What is it with you women ::) My wife and two daughters all have mobile phones and either leave them in the boot of the car or at home or don't bother to switch them on what good would they be in an emergency ::)

Andy how unfair your other half's employers are to disallow her to wear her life saving bracelet, shite company if you ask me. ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 23:24:41 »
Thing is Roy, the planet continued to spin before mobile phones were around.  I loath mobile phones with a passion, but appreciate the need for them.  Mine is really only for emergencies.  If I am going to be knocked into next week by a passing elephant, it will happen regardless of the mobile telephone being handy.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 23:25:02 »
Safety at work crap I guess!!! >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal