Author Topic: For Palustris....!  (Read 5185 times)

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: For Palustris....!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 11:08:15 »
 :) Well I have to agree with Lottie & co, roses are lovely & worth the effort, food & a little attention, & the rewards are great. If you feed them then they don't suffer half as much from pests & diseases I find.  :) :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 11:33:35 »
So the only way to get half decent plants is to spray, prune, feed, dead head, mulch, collect up fallen leaves. Get a life.
Still do not want roses in my garden. As I said all along, other people's gardens maybe, but not for me. Having said that, there are about 15 rose bushes in flower here at present, mostly ramblers and climbers though and tucked away in the hedges where I don't have to go anywhere near them except when attacking the place with the hedge trimmers.
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 15:15:29 »
Oh Eric, you're so harsh!!  :'(  :'(  :'(. Dead head occasionally and don't spray for anything, have lots of little ladybirds, black spot restance bred in. No dividing, just a bit of love.  Sigh   Lottie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 19:28:42 »
Black spot resistance bred in, hmmmmm. Is that why one of the sold as disease resistant modern English roses which we have just discarded was leafless? All the leaves on the floor were typically spotted with the disease. The rose was bought from the actual breeder too, cost a fortune. And since our soil is extremely fertile one cannot say the rose was hungry.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 21:06:14 »
Wow, that's bad.  My resistant ones seem to be fine.  Take twig back to breeder, do alot of finger waggling and gesticulating and threaten to name them on here if no refund!!!  Lottie  ;) ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 08:19:27 »
 ;D Don't think it may have sensed your dislike of them by any chance Eric.....!!!!!!!!!!! LOL  ??? ;D ??? ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 10:14:28 »
And you know what really bugs me? The hedgerows here are full of briar roses, flowering away merrily and how much black spot on them? Not a trace, but the ones in my garden are all well on their way to defoliation.

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 11:27:36 »
  ;D Perhaps it's because they have the freedom to roam. ;D ;D and of course they have not been messed about by man. ::) ::)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 15:08:22 »
Roses in hedgerows are native so have in built resistance to black spot, been here thousands of years.   The roses we know and love (some of us!!) are relatively new introductions, hundreds of years, so they don't have the in built resistance.  There, how's that for an explanation!!! Lottie ;D  :o Not even sure if it's right!!! But sounds right!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 15:17:09 »
Sorry but I am with Eric here, I adore looking at other peoples, but cannot be faffed to have them myself, although I have inherited 2 with the garden and yes, they are covered in aphids and blackspot, so look very ugly now they have flowered!  Black spot resistance, round these parts thats a load of baloney, it doesn't exist! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 15:29:42 »
i am with lottie and others you cant beat an old English rose in any garden

undercarriage plan

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 18:00:42 »
Oggy Oggy Oggy.....!!!  :o  ;D  ;) Turning into a football match, better than wimbeldon!!  All I can say is each to his/her own (obviously), Decking or patio.......???   ;) Lottie  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 11:18:31 »
Your roses are beautiful lottie, IMO an English garden isn't complete without roses.  OK, so there are a few down sides to roses, but the sheer beauty and scent of them more than compensates.  My climbing rose 'Albertine' is very similar to yours - apparently that was the late Queen Mum's favourite :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

undercarriage plan

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 11:54:41 »
Thanks Garden girl!! They are just the most romantic flowers, probably my probelm, big romantic Noodle!!! Have one on arch called "Summer Wine", beautiful single flowers and a soft spicy scent, love 'em!!  Any other pics out there?  Would love to see other peeps' favourite.  Lottie  ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 13:05:29 »
:) Hi Lottie, Yes have to agree an English garden isn't complete without a rose, I have several, but I think this is my favourite. As far as I can remember it is called "elizabeth arden" & has a beautiful scent, the blooms are huge as you can see. Love it.......... ;D ;D Will go & see if any more worth a post.  ;D ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 15:50:56 »
Here are a few roses I have growing in my garden
This is a lovely old fashioned climber.
'Remember me' - some friends gave me this when I lost one of my dogs a few years ago.
This one is 'Geoff Hamilton'.  I was lucky enough to have my photo taken with him a short while before he died - a lovely man.
This one is 'Cliff Richard' - I don't care if you all laugh, but daughter and I are huge fans ;) ;D
'Chicago Peace' - a beautiful rose inherited from the people who used to live in our bungalow.
'Albertine' - the one I refer to above.
Your Elizabeth Arden is beautiful MF :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 20:06:47 »
Hey Lottie,
Thought you may like to see one of my climbers, Think this is Pink Perpetua,  it is a young rose and this is the first year it has flowered like this.   I think its beautiful...

just spotted 2 flies on the roses as well, cheek!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2005, 20:17:55 »
They are all so beautiful, perfdect in fact.  More!!!  ;D Lottie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal