Author Topic: Bless him....  (Read 1873 times)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Bless him....
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:40:49 »
Just had to share a little story with you that keeps me smiling after yesterday's terribly stressful day.

A friend of mine and her 5 year old boy came to visit me last weekend from London.  Firstly he was so excited by the fact that there were chickens in the garden and insisted on checking if there were any more eggs every half an hour which we all happily went along with.  Then I mentioned we needed to pop to the lottie and dig up some potatoes for dinner at which point his eyes lit up.

Got down there and I put the fork in and let him do the rest - digging and collecting from every plant meticulously and everytime another potato appeared excited little fingers were there.  Anyway, we got through about 3 plants because he was so excited so I had to give loads away on Sunday to family.  He had a lovely tea of egg and potatoes which he collected and actually ate it all (apparently he is normally very fussy).

It was so lovely to see as I am so used to taking my 20-month old with me and it is now second nature to her that this is what happens but to see a little boy that excited about it all is great.  So I have sent him a little packet of mini veg seeds and told him he must get mummy to help him and fingers crossed - we may have another veg grower in our midst.

Puts a smile on my fact anyway.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Bless him....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 12:02:02 »
Awwwwwww   sweet!  My 13 year old STILL loves to come to dig up potatoes with me! :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 12:45:15 »
It's nice to hear about kids enjoying simple pleasures  :)  My pre-school great nephew and niece always bring their little gardening tool kits when they come to see me so they can help me.  At home they are growing coriander and courgettes etc and seem to have caught the bug  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 19:42:58 »
My allotment is like a secret paradise.  The kids are only keen when there is picking to be done, and everything they pick is amazing!  Just wait until pumpkin patch time, that they adore!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 22:03:57 »

That's so good to hear. I  think all schools should have a growing

garden , so that they can experience the delight in digging up

veg and tasting it. Maybe then we would have generations of children

who value organically grown food, full of flavour.

Debs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal