Author Topic: Getting worried!  (Read 2312 times)

Rose.mary

• Acre
Getting worried!
« on: July 04, 2005, 23:48:43 »
I am beginning to get worried as everything seems to be doing too well.
It's my first year growing veg and is a big learning curve. Yes only 50% of raspberrie canes have taken, and the first strawberries were mushy if not eaten on plot(weather too warm as the ones I am picking now are fine) 2 cabbages got caterpillars (no problem leaves complete with caterpillars were fed to hens) but I keep reading of all the things that can go wrong and I worry that there is one hell of a disaster waiting for me. ??? ???

Rosemary

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Re: Getting worried!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 00:05:57 »
Who can tell?

It's all a big adventure.

To non-allotment people we're all destined for the "B" ark anyway.

Keep on planting and keep stiff the upper lip when all around goes to pot - successes will exceed failures.

This is my first year too.

I fed the pigeons royally on sprouts/put brambles into soil low in potash(how was I to know?)and watched them wither/saw under10% of lots of seeds run away and hide, rather than poke up through the crust/and fell over onto my (then) one and only marrow.

Ho hum

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 00:28:11 »
This is my first year too.

Let's see... didn't manage to dig enough couch grass out to even get the planned raspberries in; was gifted some lovely strawberry plants, but only four survived the move, and so far have eaten a grand total of 1 berry (but it was very nice!); the pigeons have feasted on all the cabbages and cauliflowers (have now, far too late, got a wire cage over them); some of the onions have had white rot; the shallots are hanging on grimly (put in far too late); all the carrots, spring onions and parsnips never got as far as germination, having rotted happily in the ground... and some of the spuds finally went in two months late. The birds ate most of the direct sown peas, my hand-raised asparagus peas almost went the same way (hasty chicken wire arch jammed down over the sad remnants), and only the broad beans and french beans seem happy with my handling of the situation.

On the other hand...

:)

I settled down to my very first home-grown produce, a salad, on Sunday evening: Radishes (Gauda), baby salad leaves (rocket, red & green mustard, mizuna, lollo rosso) and the loveliest, tiniest round courgette (de Nice a Ronde), and a few fresh peas (Victorian half-pint).

Now it may have looked a bit meagre, but boy did it make those hours of digging start to fade into the distance.

The tomato plants are still alive; the pumpkin and sweetcorn are looking quite robust; I put the cucumbers in under mesh right from the start & they are beginning to perk up; the beetroot line may have considerable gaps but it still answers roll call... and if I can just dig out some more couch grass I may (eventually) get around to transplanting some pretty solid looking leeks.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 07:09:28 »
Well done Gadfium!!!!!!
Chris Pea

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:34 »
repeat this mantra.....

it'll be better next year
It'll be better next year

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 12:37:50 »
I don't think it is ever better, just different.  For every (let's not think failure....ummm) disappointment, there will be a success, closely followed by a glut!  Last year, not one courgette for my tea, this year, I am picking anywhere between 10 and 20 per visit!!!  Last year, enough sprouts for Christmas dinner, but none for the new year, this year, I will be feeding the whole street!  But this year, my witloof hasn't germinated, my allotment strawbs only produced a handful of fruit (thank god for the strawb patch at home!) and my carrots are 50/50.

It is a battlefield out there, but we love it, that's why we do it...in the rain...and snow....when frost is forecast...when it is cold....when it is toooo hot......with blisters....splinters...runny noses..... ;D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 13:36:58 »
Our first year was great, so we thought right, it's going to be even better next year.  More peas, more carrots, more everything.  But oh no, the carrots didn't take, the beans got the frost, and the onions got the rot, so a bit disappointing to say the least.  The big thing we have learnt this year is, don't rest on your laurels, and assume that because you have a good year, the next will be even better.  It is only by good fortune that I solely took on another plot and planted more crops that we have something to fall back on.  We are therefore moving onto this new plot for ease and the availability of water.

I believe it is all down to preparation of soil, I am therefore awaiting deliver of 8 tons of manure!!!! - not sure what 8 tons looks like, answers on a postcard please, and will incorporate this into the soil.

As EJ says, each year is different, and how boring it would be if it wasn't

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 14:33:47 »
Hello,its my first year with the plot and yes its a bit up and down, Rocket bolted , Slugs eaten every thing , Cabbage attacked with aphids so had to give up my principles and use a spray, but on the plus side been eating taties from the plot for past fortnight little lad loved his srawbs we planted, Tomatoes and pepppers coming along. I think the highs outway the lows and seeds are quite cheap. Lily-  8 Tons will look like a big pile of sh**e

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 15:05:10 »
OK OK!! I am counting my blessings and thanking God for every minute He gives me to enjoy the successes and failures.
I will take your advice and look forward to every minute,and I will try to be more optimistic

Rosemary

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 15:09:11 »
Lily - I had 2 tons delivered the other week and it was an ENORMOUS pile so hope you have a big space for the 8 tons!!  :o

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 15:17:46 »
It is one big adventure, I have found having a plot.  You go through a whole gamut of emotions with each season.  You never know what dear old Mother Nature is going to throw at you.  Along the way though I like to think we are gaining a bit of experience in how to deal with things and also the philosophy, that the world will not end if your cabbages all get eaten by the pigeons or some unknown creatures has munched away your peas.  If things to do wrong we too have got into the habit of saying, "next year will be better", but it is the hardship and the work that makes your crops taste all the better.  ;D busy_lizzie    
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 17:08:03 »
Here, here Busy Lizzie  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 19:22:58 »
Mother Nature has just thrown a gale at me! and snapped my best tomato plant in half :'(
I've stuck the top half back in the ground, have watered it well and will now keep my fingers crossed.

Just offered 12yr. old some peas from the pod and got "I hate peas". Asked him to try them anyway and now he wants to know when I'm next going down to the lottie for more :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal