Author Topic: How do you know....  (Read 1925 times)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
How do you know....
« on: July 07, 2005, 23:05:39 »
how many of each plant you need?  As this is my first year growing, I have no idea how much of each crop to plant.  I know its one of those things that you probably learn over time, but none of the books I have give much of an indication of how much to plant.  Courgettes for example, I have 4 (well, 3 healthy, one in intensive care  :) ) - which I thought didn't sound much for 2 of us, but apparently will probably be plenty.  Potatoes - haven't a clue how many to grow.  Does any one know where I can get some sort of idea from?  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: How do you know....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 23:09:01 »
I am sure there are guides, but I can't help you with that I'm afraid.  I tend to grow loads of everything, which allows for the pests and diseases to take their toll, loads for me to do baking and experimenting with, and plenty to give to friends and family and make me feel all smug and warm inside!  ;D  Things that we don't eat in abundance, or if I am the only person I know that likes them, like broadbeans, then I just grow a few plants, but beetroot, which I adore, and so does my mum, I grow row upon row of! ;D  No help at all, sorry!  ;D ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 23:16:08 »
No EJ - much help you are (sounding like Yoda for some strange reason!).  I suppose I was wondering if there was some mythical formula that I was unaware of, but like you am just growing a lot of what I like - please remember to remind me that I like runner beans when we (hopefully) begin to harvest my monster row  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 23:33:56 »
Could I have a look at those please? - they sound interesting  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 09:47:02 »
Oh, me too please jennym - if you click on the persons name it will bring up their details and at the bottom you can send individual a message.
 ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 10:22:22 »
Jennym - that would be great!  Is this the mythical formula we have been searching for?   :o  Thanks Jennym.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 20:01:36 »
I can't see how you can predict something like that as it will depend on weather, pests, seeds, luck/fate etc.

I guess as long as you have plenty of friends/family neighbours/freezers/recipes etc it doesn't matter how much you grow.

My OH has got golf games paid for on the strength of the veggies he gives away to his golf partners.
I have had jam jars, balck plastic, wood for fire and lots of praise in return for the excess I give away.
The best bit is the feeling that 'I grew and produced all this'. ;D)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 20:04:32 by ani »

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 23:46:16 »
To redclanger and piglottie - file has been e-mailed.
To lazybones - personal mail sent please read.
Jennym

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 01:47:01 »
the vegetable expert by dr d g hessayon, it gives rough guides on how much to expect from a 3m row etc,so you can work out how long you will need a row, and then work out roughly how much of eveything you will need.

EG. if you get carrots, and you get say, (this is a pure guess!) 3kg from a 3m row, whihc is about 100 carrots, you want 4 rows, you will be able to get away with one packet of seed etc.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 09:12:18 »
Thanks jennym - it has arrived and is looking very interesting.  If this is an ongoing project, would you like feedback?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 10:12:28 »
Thanks Jennym.  Looks really helpful - like Redclanger, do you want feedback?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal