Author Topic: Introduction We got Our Plots  (Read 2107 times)

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
Introduction We got Our Plots
« on: July 04, 2005, 15:22:44 »
Hello to all,
We are a couple in southampton, just got our plots.
Luckily for us, the site rep rotorvated  the large plot int he spring, he was fed up of the grass seed landing on his plot, which is next door, save a bit of work there. the other plot is next door the other way and has tall grass and a few brambles on it.
My huby cut it back to the ground and has a large roll of black plastic sheeting, and is planning on using it to cover the beds as we get them cleaned for next year,  lot of time for preping the lottie!
We also have a couple of large cherry trees at the top of the plot. and a free greenhouse, when we can dig it out of the brambles on another plot that has been left for 6 yrs.
I read a lot about not rotorvating the plot, Hubby is thinking of rotorvating the grassy plot and then covering it to sterlise it whilst we concentrate on the large plot first, his thinking that the grass and any weed will die off, and and rot a bit, before we get to start on the prepping of it. Is he right to think this way, our friendly neighbour says it has been unused for 3-4 yrs,
any tips

they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
Re: Introduction We got Our Plots
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 17:58:52 »
Welcome get a glass  of wine and relax nice you joined us.
My opinion is dont rotavate slash it all down if it is high and then cover with black plastic or something else to keep the light out by next spring you will be ok.

Bye for nw

Ron ;D ;D
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 14:35:44 »
Hi  :)  Welcome to A4A.  I was in Southampton at Easter as my son is living there now.  I noticed some lotties near where he lives and was busy craning my neck to see what was happening while sitting in the back of the car.  They were opposite a bowling alley I think.   I wouldn't rotovate any of the weeds in as you're just multiplying the problem. Cover it up with cardboard or black sheet mulch etc after you've hacked it back.   Our plot hadn't been tended for years and the long grass and weeds we cut back with a brushcutter and then ran the petrol mower over it several times before covering it with sheet mulch etc.  The large area now under cover is providing a weed free bit for my pumpkins and squashes to romp over.  Some of the areas covered over last year and the weeds have now died back I planted with celeriac and  cabbages.  I didn't dig it but just used a bulb planter to lift out a core of soil and then planted the small plants into that.  Seems to have worked and the plants are growing away.  It saved digging which is what I'm trying to avoid  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 22:26:17 »
those lotties are in millbrook, is a good site apparently, good soil.
I am on the other side of the city.
As to covering the plots, I need to landscape them a bit due to sloping badly sloping, and needs lanscaping abit, to level it out, and terrace it.  so rotavating it to break up the clumps of grass first.  any weed and there was only a small  bit of bramble will be pulled  when I go over it by hand. I then will add a 4" layer of farm manure and cover it with black plastice sheeting.
the main plot, that was done before we took it on, there is only a litle bindweed there, and this we have been liffting out over the last few days, a area at a time, . also removing a lot of the undecomposed grass that was lieing on the surface.( got a nice large pile already from strimmming the other plot the other day composting away.)
My thinking is to get the beds marked out and perpared one at a time, let and grass seeds, and there was a lot flying as I strimmed the small plot next door.  germinate and the just weed them, after a few weeks,  should have most of the weeding done and then mulch with manure, water and cover to let the worms and nature help.
six weeks should have the main plot done, and then on to the small plot. this is the one that need the most leveling. so I have quite a bit of time till next spring to get all ready and going. 

I built a raise bed today using the roof planks of the old rotten shed that I broke up.
A few nails, and presto, a nice 5x5 square 6"deep.
we sieved some soil, added a little sand, and placed over a pre-dug spot.  Added the soil. and some potting compost, and that will be filled with herbs that are doing wondefully at home.  I will add a couple of lines of carrots, and we will have something this season.

At least I have a good 5 months to get it already for next season.
Only thing that has me cold sweating is I got 3 tonnes of farm manure to wheel barrow over some dodgy paths, around fromt he gate to my plot....lol
CG

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 13:47:10 »
Millbrook, yes that's the one  :)  Glad to hear things are coming together. Your raised beds sounds great.  I don't envy you having to barrow all that compost.  I got mine delivered just at the time I had a very bad back to mine stayed on the lotty haul road for ages before I managed to shift it, by which time all the grass had died off  :o  I got cow muck and it goes very dry and hard and it was very difficult to shift. Got to do it all over again next year though  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 23:07:39 »
well I am going to try and post a pic of one of the plots here...lol
well practice makes perfect...lol

if it dont work hell I give up...lol
CG

ps  it worked  well ho ho ho  grenn giant!!!

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal