Author Topic: Ideas for bog plants  (Read 4887 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re: Ideas for bog plants
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 09:57:18 »
The Kafir lilies like plenty of water Richard.  If you remember, I posted a message re them growing in my pond.  They do spread, but are easily managed. Herewith photo.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 14:35:24 »
How about some lovely water-loving natives such as Ragged Robin, Geum Rivale and quaking grass? I have all three in the boggy bit by my pond. Do you want seeds?
gone to pot :D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 19:27:02 »
How about ligularia.  Has a leaf somewhere between a gunnera and rubarb but only grows about the size of rubarb although leaves much smaller, will tolerate shade and has lovely big daisy like yellow flowers or tall racemes dependant on variety.  When they die off you get left with a pom-pom sort of flower head.

An image search on google will find loads of them cos my description is awful thinking about it!!!!   :-\

Another option is Astilbe - lots of sizes and colours.  The picture below is of the ones in my garden tonight.
http://client.webshots.com/photo/388860218/388860873fYGRiL

« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 19:47:44 by Icyberjunkie »
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 22:00:21 »
Dibber, my dinosaur is yours!! Just pm with your address........?! Lottie  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 15:44:48 »
Many thanks to all who have replied with Ideas. Much appreciated.

Plenty of 'food for thought' there. I now have LOADS of planting ideas, however astilbe (got it already in pots) and ligularia (long admired plant) will be definite ones for the list.

Aqui - many thanks for the offer, but i already have some ragged robin seeds, and a couple of suitable grasses (plants), so sadly i will have to decline you.

As it turns out finding plants to go in the bog garden has not been as hard as i thought. The real hard bit has been building the garden/bed in thefirst place! I seem to have shifted loads of soil already(to get site level), but still havent got as far as digging out for the liner yet!!!

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 12:21:57 »
How about some  of the following

Ensata iris, these are really beautiful, huge flowers.

Zantedeschia - my favourite is Pink Mist, lovely deep pink in the throat fading to white on the edge.

Caltha palustris Flore Pleno - lovely tight golden yellow buttons.

Lysichiton camschatchensis - a white version of the 'skunk cabbage' but this one doesn't have the unpleasant smell.

Rodgseria Podophylla - fab autumn colour.
Trollus - so many lovely forms of this are available it's hard to pick one.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 15:47:22 »
thanks lottie can i really have the dinosaur

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 11:18:50 »
Just an update.

I have now got the main planting done in my bog garden.

I have included:

Hostas
Astilbe
Ligularia
Lobelia (not 'Queen Victoria' but similar)

Primula (a white candelabra type)
An ornamental grass (which I thought was a carex but turns out to be a phalaris - which i have planted within a big pot to contain it)
Alstromerias (I found out they like/tolerate moist soil so thought i'd try them out - I have plenty anyway)

I may add more or change this as time goes on (for instance if the hostas get too slug/snail damaged next year). Just depends on what works.

I also have incorporated a small pool into the area. It is onlt big enough for two plants plus a pump/fountain. Too shady for a lilly, and too small for an iris, so went for water mint for height plus a 'Sisyrinchium californicum', which has grass like leaves and small yellow flowers.  If I find something better (like a dwarf iris) I'll change it, but it will be alright for now.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 12:45:54 »
weldone sounds like its coming along nicely , you will have to post picture and keep us updated  :) :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 12:46:58 »
weldone sounds like its coming along nicely , you will have to post picture and keep us updated  :) :)

Will Do! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal