Author Topic: Basic (ish) book  (Read 1658 times)

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
Basic (ish) book
« on: July 05, 2005, 13:01:26 »
Hi all,

Does anybody have any good soft fruit and veg book recommendations?  I would like something with a reference guide and a what to do when listing by month or season if possible.

The local bookshop will order anything but I'm a bit touchy feely and prefer to either work on a recommendation or have a thumb through before buying.

Thanks.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
Re: Basic (ish) book
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 13:09:07 »
Hi bagpuss

I bought Joy Larkam's Grow Your Own which was recommended by quite a lot of people on here.  Its really comprehensive and covers lots of stuff.  I also bought a gardening calendar from Organic Gardening Catalogue which lists what jobs you have to do each month - the calendar lasts for subsequent years (see link http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2089)

HTH

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 13:25:46 »
And look at all the links on this board. Some good homespun stuff - & some professional.
But I don't think you can get many books which adequately cover fruit and veg. Hamilton's Organic Gardening came close. For soft fruit, go to Ken Muir's site?

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 18:37:18 »
Anything by Joy Larkcom.

Her 'Organic Salad Garden' & 'Oriental Vegetables' are, in my humble opinion, indispensable.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 19:47:01 »
Why not have a pootle round the library, I'm a bit of a skinflint and do it all the time, that way you can cross reference too ;D  But, despite the lack of fruit info Joy Larcombe is great, that one I did buy all the info you need for a tenner!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 19:49:23 by Mubgrub »

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 23:17:34 »
    Hi      Try "The fruit expert" and "The vegetable expert"
by Dr D G Hessayon, both about £5. Should be available from your local garden centre, where you can get a free look at the books before deciding whether to buy or not
   LesH

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 09:28:53 »
Id be careful tho. Im sure many will attest to the fact that planting dates etc seem to have been thrown out of the window etc !!

Still useful for techniques etc.

This place is the best tool I find
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 21:03:58 »
I'd reccomend the "The fruit expert" and "The vegetable expert" by Dr D G Hessayon aswell. Very good books, but its always handy to have a real expert to ask - luckily my dads had his allotment for 30 years.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 21:52:54 »
They're worth having, but they recommend every chemical under the sun; the author's philosophy appears to be 'if it moves, spray it'. Take that aspect with a large pinch of salt!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 07:14:51 »
Alan Titchmarsh's allotment book isn't bad, basic but the important stuff is there. The RHS vegetable & fruit book is very good, covers everything in great detail, excellent for a beginner. Anything by Joy Larkcom is a winner, she's a veg goddess as far as I’m concerned. Geoff Hamilton's laid back style is very encouraging & he knew his stuff.
It's difficult to pick a single book to cover everything but Joy Larkcom's Grow your own vegetables and the RHS one are what I find myself referring to more than any others and I do have a big selection to choose from

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal