Author Topic: More Tomatoes - Varieties  (Read 2637 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
More Tomatoes - Varieties
« on: March 04, 2004, 09:40:51 »
Hello Everyone, I am new to this site, and think it's great.

I'm going to try growing a whole bunch of things on my balconies this year, one of them being tomatoes.

Going to start the seeds off soon, and I was going to try the 'Santa' variety, as I've had it before from the shops and it was lovely, and also I read you get a load of fruit from each plant.

Has anyone had any experience with this variety, is it particularly difficult to grow?

Thanks in advance
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:More Tomatoes - Varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 10:13:38 »
- 'page expired' - try again!

We grow 8 each year - in a cold house - gets to 10 feet - children love it - solid with few seeds - survives in casseroles - freezes well and, when thawed, skin just slips off. Roasts well.

Not saying that other cherry/grape types don't do the same - before I get heckled!! =  Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 13:46:36 »
I grew Roma VI last year - they were superb. Loads of crop, loads of flavour. Perfect for roasting, pasta sauces, and salads.

I had some seeds left over, which I planted last week. They have germinated nicely.
gone to pot :D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 17:57:58 »
Moggle-if you like `pommodorini` you will LOVE Santa,not sure about for outdoors-or indeed that it is the best one to eat raw but for freezing and general purpose use in the kitchen it`s a winner.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 22:13:48 »
Moggle, no idea on the toms I'm afraid, the only Santa I know is fat and has a fetish for red!  I just wanted to say WELCOME!   ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 06:37:52 »
Maybe not the best, Cleo, but delightfully different? = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 08:25:25 »
Hi Moggle,havent eaten them before but I am growing them to try this year.  Seedlings are coming on well and are almost onto 3rd true leaf. :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 08:58:07 »
Hi all, thanks for the help so far.

Well I made a visit to homebase last night, and bought the santa seeds. I hope they're worth it, £2.99 for 10 seeds! Well I'm only going to grow them on the balcony so i won't need that many plants.

Should it be ok to plant the seeds now? I only have a nice warm airing cupboard to germinate them in, and with only 10 seeds, I want to get it right!

I'm pretty sure they should taste good (providing I don't kill them that is), cause I've already had that variety from M&S, which is what gave me the idea to grow them in the first place.

Thanks for the welcome EJ

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 10:42:53 »
Lo Moggle - plant seeds now!!  I sowed me toms in Jan (on the 4th!) and they are fab ickle plants now, go for it...

Fellow tomato growers unite  ;)
Peas xx

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 09:28:46 »
Ok, well I rushed home on friday afternoon and planted them, and they're in the airing cupboard now. I hope most of them germinate. I think a couple were almost coming up already this morning  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal