Author Topic: Potato celebration!  (Read 8509 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Potato celebration!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 09:40:56 »
I have been digging my Rockets for a couple of weeks now - I digging the sickest of a rather sick bunch of plants.  These are the first potatoes I have ever grown and every time I eat them I waltz around for hours afterwards with a big "I grew them and they were fantastic" grin on my face.  Might try a few different varieties of firsts next year.  Are there any decent oldish varieties that are worth a go?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 15:45:53 »
My darling Ava dug the last of my row of rockets today, a carrier bag full.  We don't get masses thanks to the total lack of water - the ground was dry deeper than the deepest spud root!  Not good for the budding allotmenteer, but we do okay.  Also had a test dig on charlottes, very nice clean yellow spuds, and I think sante, also nice, small, but clean and no slug or 'other' damage..yet!  Had a little poke around the pink fur apple, even though it is way to early, but still a good amound of useable sized spuds!

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 21:45:55 »
Redclanger, if you want the very best of early potatoes try Epicure and Sharpes Express.  Although they are `first earlies` they take a bit longer than Rocket, so put a few Rocket in to dig first.  Both Epicure and Sharpes Express are a bit more floury and much more flavoursome than Rocket, Epicure is a heavy cropper, while Sharpes can also be used for very tasty chips.

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2005, 00:54:46 »
So what is everyone's favourite potato?

Next year am gonna be the more scientific and not muddle up the seed pots I bought at the potato fair. What  a muppet! But they all taste good when I dig them up.

The only ones I didn't muddle up were the Sarpo ones. Monster Monster plants, but not ready yet. Hope the growth's not all above ground.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2005, 18:03:23 »
King Edwards for maincrop and Sharpes Express - as well as uses Ej states they are also great for roasting with a really crispy skin and fluffy inside ... yum
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 09:55:37 »
......  Are there any decent oldish varieties that are worth a go?
Elsewhere someone has had great success with Arran Pilot; Home Guard is another "old fashioned flavoured" one.

But ...... the older varieties do tend to be less productive than the newer ones (but are better than most for flavour).

Tasty (and taste is very personnal!) modern varieties include Lady Christl and Princess.

Of the second earlies, a well grown Charlotte takes some beating

Phil

Mr Plot

• Not So New ...
  • Sexy Carrot
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 14:27:38 »
I dug up some of my first earlies yesterday and boiled them last night. They were lovely but I noticed the water left in the pan was really green!
It is the first time I have grown potatoes, is this normal?

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 14:47:49 »
I've got Pentaland Javlin and Foremost as earlies, Desiree and Cara as main crops.

I normally have King edwards instead of Cara, but the yeild in'snt great from King edwards, lot of small spuds even thought the tops get really big and healthy. Thought i'd try somthing different this year.

Pentaland Javlin are good, they keep for quite a while and are very very nice roasted. I always try and keep some of these back for xmas..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 16:21:42 »
I have been digging my Rockets for a couple of weeks now - I digging the sickest of a rather sick bunch of plants. 

My rocket plants looked pretty sick too  :( Still got a reasonable crop from them, but quite slug-attacked.

The concorde on the other hand seem to be doing well.

Might give rocket a miss next year, and try a couple of the others suggested above next year.

Oh, and hurrah to Aqui for her successful spuds  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 16:37:00 »
Lady Christl all the way for me!  I tried international kidney as well this year, thought they were not worth the effort  :-\  Will try something different next year to go with the Lady!  Still have Kestrel to go, Anya's and Sarpo's, oh and a row of something that I can't remember!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 16:55:48 »
I dug up a root of Edzell Blue (second earlies) to see how they were doing.  You should have seen the look on the kids faces when I showed them the small, purple skinned spuds we were having for tea! :)
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2005, 00:11:59 »
My favourite potatoes are: Kestrel and Red Duke of York (these don't seem to be so badly attacked by slugs etc also Lady Christl.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005, 09:45:28 »
We've got mostly Lady Christls so dinner tonight, with a few charlottes, as there weren't quite enough. But they are all decent new spud size! I'm so excited about that. Never had the Lady Cs before.

We're having them with the beetroot leaves (had the roots roasted last night - yum!) and whatever mange tout/beans I can find.
gone to pot :D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2005, 12:47:21 »
.....I normally have King edwards instead of Cara, but the yeild in'snt great ....

Keef,

Although KE is a very good tasting and versatile potato it does require good conditions to do well - your soil need to have plenty of humus and not be too light - other varieties, such as Cara, are more forgiving and just as versatile but (IMO) don't have the flavour - one that is working well for me currently is Spey

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2005, 14:30:16 »
I'm salivating just reading these posts about homegrown taters in lashings of butter and mint.  Can't wait to get stuck into mine.  Are they ready when the flowers have finished and the plants start to wilt?
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2005, 16:08:47 »
Just to repeat  -  NOT always mint??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/rosepots2.jpg  or

790g (1lb 12oz) Small New Potatoes
110g (4oz) Streaky Bacon, chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, sliced
4 Sprigs Thyme
4 Sprigs Rosemary
3 tbsp Olive oil
Coarse Salt

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2005, 17:48:55 »
.....or even easier just scrub 'em off, sprinkle with good olive oil, a quick scrunch of sea salt and black pepper then microwave trning occasionally to esnure even cooking.

Simple, quick and just fresh potato taste.....MMmmmmmmmm

...or if really daring add a little Chinese 5 spice for some extra zing.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2005, 22:35:32 »
Phil, or any spuddy name experts...a chappy on our site has grown a row of something he called Ice crystal spuds this year, very little top growth, very early, and bucket fulls of spuds from each plant!  Worth giving them a go???

clara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2005, 23:31:21 »
I've also not been impressed so by International kidney which I have grown for the first time this year - small yield, break up too easily when cooking, though do have a good flavour when cold.
The crop I am really looking forward to is my second earlies, Belle de Fontenay.  Grew these last year, delicious flavour, waxy round potato, and loads of them.  Described as an 'old French variety'.   Have any of you tried them?   Definitely a candidate for favourite potato.

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2005, 23:58:18 »
Clara

Belle de Fontenay are on my list for next year.

My main crop this time round is Sarpo. Never seen such big plants.
Just hope the production line is as impressive..

Muddled up all the others - but whatever they are they are brill.

Watered and watered with bucketfuls of the stuff, avoiding the topgrowth, but when digging them up the ground is bone dry.

Who sells the Ice Crystal pots?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal