Author Topic: Opium Poppies  (Read 1581 times)

Rox

• Half Acre
Opium Poppies
« on: June 20, 2005, 19:42:15 »
 I have some beautiful red opium poppies growing - upon examination this weekend , I noticed they had whiteflies, aphids as well as possibly woolly scale insect, so I decided to spray the affected with pyrethrum to avoid the problem getting out of control. Unfortunately, the leaves must be SUPER delicate as there was severe scorching and damage to the leaves  :o perhaps the combination of the scorching weather didn't help  :-[ I'd like to know whether it would be okay to remove some of the worst affected leaves? (the flowers have not comeup yet). I obviously don't wan't to jeopardise them blooming after all this time, especially since I'd like to try drying the seed pods for baking  ;) many thanks for any advice/help!!  :D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Opium Poppies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 22:29:23 »
Give it a few days - the most damaged ones may die of their own accord. If they don't, you should be OK to remove a small number (say one or two) of damaged leaves, but don't overdo it, because the scorching has already reduced the photosynthesizing area. They should flower whatever you do, but the flower size may be reduced if they lose too many leaves.

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 14:23:26 »
sorry another question though - how many flower heads do opium poppies normally have - 1 or are they multi-stemmed? thanks!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 18:05:53 »
Usually a single big flower - they sometimes produce extra, smaller flowers a bit later, but that's more likely if you dead-head, which you're obviously not going to  ;D

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 09:58:40 »
sorry, but one last question on this subject - the poppies have finally started to flower  :D They each last about a day, and then the leaves fall of leaving a greed-podded seed head. I'm wondering how long I need to wait before I can pick the seed pods (to use for baking purposes). Do I have to leave them in the ground or can I cut them already after flowering and dry them upside down for a certain length of time? any ideas? thanks in advance!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:06:40 »
Pick them when they start to change colour and finish off drying in the house. BUT, inside a paper, not plastic bag.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal