Author Topic: My clematis!  (Read 4036 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
My clematis!
« on: June 28, 2005, 19:18:28 »
Inspired by Eric's lovely clematis pictures I've decided to share pictures of mine. All are in flower at the moment.

Blue Angel

Buckland Beauty

Etoile Violette

Integrifolia

James Mason

Sunstar (hybrid)

Wesselton

I think they make quite a varied selection.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: My clematis!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 19:54:59 »
They're lovely Plocket
MM

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 20:24:28 »
wonderfull green with envy i just cant get the buggers to grow , but yours are beautiful

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 21:25:15 »
Hi Plocket! Thanks for sharing. BB is a particular favourite of mine - I love the flower shape! Lovely collection. I have a couple of clems in flower, including Etoile Violette, but nothing to rival your collection!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 21:33:17 »
Hiya Plocket. Thanks for sharing. They look wonderful. I have the same problem as last year with the Ville de Lyon leaves just going brown .there  is no growth for at least the first 2ft of the plant. I am beginning to wonder if it is the way I  planted it in the beginning. (not knowing anything about planting deep and sheltering roots) There is plenty of growth and buds further up. Your plants all look so lovely and green. Lorna.

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 21:41:13 »
What can I say but to agree with everyone else that they are lovely, Plocket.

Please can you tell me the flower sizes of Sunstar & Wesselton? - Hull only has minimal info. on Sunstar & I couldn't find Wesselton.  When I move I want to get a couple of clematis with small flowers to go with my Early sensation - I like them better than the big saucer-sized ones.  Thanks!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 21:55:27 »
Beautiful, Plocket. The more I look at Clems with nodding or bell shaped flowers, the more I like them  ;D. That Buckland Beauty is breath taking  :o. And I just love that Wesselton.

Margi

• Quarter Acre
  • Yeah, sure!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 23:33:24 »
Hi Plocket

Lovely pics, as always, but PLEASE will you stop showing me pics of clems!? I want Wesselton now as well...

Did you see my post on the other one about my new clem, bought last night in a feeble attempt to buy trellis for the new clem bed?!  Better find it if you didn't!

Margi x (Mwah!)

no1puddin

• Not So New ...
    • mom's garden
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 06:50:50 »
Hi Plocket, You have brought sunshine to my life on a verry misserable dayx chris 8)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 08:24:30 »
Hi Chris! What a wonderful thing to say! I'm so glad you like my clematis - they really do bring pleasure to my life too.

Hi Margi! Yes I did see your post but haven't replied (yet!). You know me and clems though - I can't stop being delighted with them. Wesselton is very pretty isn't it? The flowers are about 8cm long - quite a decent size.

Hi Juliet! Wesselton has flowers about 8cm long. It's a group 1 macropetala which will grow to between 6-10 ft (and could well work with your Early Sensation). I'm a bit unsure as to what sort of aspect it prefers but mine is in quite a sheltered position (East facing wall) with sun and shade. I've got it growing up a lovely spiral support and it looks great. I've got a baby of Constance which I am going to grow with Wesselton when it's mature enough. As for Sunstar I don't think you will find much information about it! It's a hybrid and fairly frowned upon by professional clem people. I grew mine from seed and apparently the results are often quite different! Mine's in a hanging basket and it's only expected to grow to about 30 cm, and the flowers measure about 6cm. I think it's a nice bright hanging basket plant and will have to see how it fairs next year!

Hi Lord Steve! Buckland Beauty is just that isn't it? A little beauty. I've not had it long but it seems to have settled in ok. I can't wait to see it covering the trellis next year - wow!

Thank you everyone for your positive comments. As you know I'm bonkers about clematis and I'm delighted that you've enjoyed them. I think my photographs show just how varied clematis can be - and I think there's probably a clem to suit anyone!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 10:18:52 »
Just a quick response for Lorna. If you think that most Clematis are woodland scramblers, the loss of lower leaves is natural. They climb to reach the light, the lower leaves are no longer needed once the plant reaches the light, so they wither. It is only in a garden situatioon where we want the plant to be clothed head to foot that it becomes a problem. Many of our Clematis have naked legs, we hide them with other plants.
Gardening is the great leveller.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:04 »
Hi Palustris. I remember Plocket told me a while ago not to worry but they look awful. Sounds as if I have to put up with it. Thanks for the info. Lorna

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 15:35:10 »
Your BB picture is much more attractive than the one on the clem website.  really lovely.   My Sunstars all got eaten by slugs but the montana seedlings are doing fine.  What's the blue integrifolia called?  My pink and white ones aren't flowering yet.  I like that delicate Wesson thingie.
Obxx - Vendée France

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 20:51:10 »
Hi Plocket - thank you for the info. about Wesselton & Sunstar.  I rather got the impression Sunstar was frowned upon from what it says on the Hull site - not sure why they list it at all if they don't think it's a proper clematis!  I think it's pretty, anyway.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 21:12:01 »
What a beautiful collection. A joy to see the pictures, thanks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 22:39:57 »
What sort of hybrid is it? Surely most varieties are hybrids!

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 23:12:42 »
Lovely selection Plocket. I especially like the Buckland Beauty too.
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 15:22:06 »
Hi Robert - I don't know what sort of hybrid Sunstar is, but from what I can gather the results can differ quite dramatically. I guess that's why it's frowned upon!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 20:53:33 »
Sheer beauties Plocket !  Thanks for sharing.

One clematis I grow up an arch (Royalty) performed beautifully last year. 

However, this year, the plant put out about 10 flowers and then nothing.  Some new growth but otherwise, plant empty of flowers -  ??? ???  I wonder why.  :'(
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 08:07:30 »
Did you prune it at all Marianne? It's a Group 2 clem which can do with a light prune. Other than that, maybe it needs a feed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal