Author Topic: National Allotment Week???  (Read 3199 times)

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
National Allotment Week???
« on: June 27, 2005, 19:07:39 »
I read a posting a while back where one of you good people gave some dates for the National Allotment Week.  I'm sure this was in August but can't remember when.  I'm hoping that drumming up a bit of publicity about the site with the local papers might encourage the local council to get up off there idle posteriors and do something about the increasing number of plots that we know have been returned to them that remain unallocated.  Conspiracy theory anyone???? ??? Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: National Allotment Week???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 23:37:13 »
Hi Lance, National Allotment is between the 8th and the 14th of August.  Good luck! I hope you can arrange something. I don't blame you for being suspicious as some councils are only too keen to get their hands on land they can sell for housing.  I wish you well and hope you get a good response.

I wish our Site would have an open day, but the committee are totally against it - they don't seem to want to encourage people to come to see the Site.  They say that as we have a waiting list why bother.   :( busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:15:46 »
You may need a new committee then. We had the same problem, but it happened anyway, thanks to onne committee member with a bit of vision and energy. When it was a success the 'antis' then tried to take the credit for it all. Between that and the thieving allegations, it was the beginning of their downfall.

windmill

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 03:12:19 »
has  anyone help  re  what  insurance  cover  u need  for  allot  week  open  day.  our  first  try  we  are  non  statutary  Waterboard  allotment.  We  have  the  what  seems  reading  your  site  don't  let  jo  public  into  site  people  but  not  on  committee  and  have  just  saved  ourselves  from  being  turned  into  playingfields  -  well  there  were  problems  with  planning  finance  for  the  school  that  went  with  the  playing  fields!!  so  want  to  celebrate  press  on  with  some  projetcs. Small  site  bad  paths  a  minefield  re  risks??
Any  ideas  ?  Is  nasalg  helpful/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:44:38 »
Excellent wardy.  Hope you all have a great time.  Who have you got coming? Are they plot holders near you?  I would like to have organised something but without the Societies support gave up.  I am trying to think of a way of forming an informal group so we can have various events -  our committee frown on anything like that.  I wondered if I could get a hold of the membership list and circulate a questionaire to see how many people would be interested in having various social activites. It is a bit too late for this year but it would be good if we could do something next. Anyway hope your Do is a success.   :) busy_lizzie

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 19:16:50 »
Sounds like a good lot of people Wardy.  Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind.   :) busy_lizzie

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 15:32:26 »
Helen here (back from hols)
We wanted to hold an open day in September. We do have an allotment comittee but the site essentially belongs to the local Council. I dont think that we will proceed with the idea due to insurance problems. Plot holders are insured via our rent but opening up the site for guests, invited or not will be prohibatively expensive. Even the plot holders BBQ which was attended by 70 holders last year may have to be held off site.
Helen

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:44:52 »
Well our Open Day finally came around yesterday, having been deferred by a week due to clashing with another event. Advertised late, we still had around 200 visitors, my garden was frantic at times, but really wonderful talking to so many people. Our veg show was a great success with some of the produce being a really high standard. The bouncy castle, hookaduck and tombola went down well, and in the evening we had a Presentation do with one of the tenants performing a set ( he's a pro singer ) and a raffle.
Incredible hard work but the highlight of the year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal