Author Topic: Ideas please  (Read 2411 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Ideas please
« on: June 25, 2005, 18:59:20 »
I need an upright shrub or climbing plant....nothing rampant, that flowers, has perfume and no prickles. I was thinking of a shrub rose but I just hate the thorns and blackspot and aphidsand........The spot gets sun for most of the day. I just love the smell of roses I wish they weren't so  awful.Clematis I love but they don't have the perfume, or if they do it isn't a full in your face aroma...help please?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Ideas please
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 19:13:23 »
What about a lilac ?  I know you can get some real ugly beasts but some are ok.
Get with the beat Baggy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 19:19:59 »
Val, Jasmine, or Mock Orange (Philadelphus)  There are thornless climbing roses, (can't of course think of one at the mo!) but I am with you on the blackspot etc!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 19:26:50 »
Honeysuckle?  You can now grow some very fragrant ones.  :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 20:04:20 »
I have a mock orange that we inherited with the garden and it is my favourite shrub.  For the past few weeks it has been giving the most wonderful fragrance, I keep making excuses to walk past it.  I would definitely recommend it.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 20:36:00 »
What about trachelospermum jasminoides - evergreen, white scented flowers & not rampant. It likes full sun so should be very happy. Referring back to the lilacs, a lovely small one is Syringa meyeri Palibin.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 21:16:11 »
I agree with others about Jasmine but it does get huge in a few years.  How about Evening Primrose?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 09:17:47 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I already have a trachy thingy and jasmine, they are way too big, Its right by the patio door, the spot I need it for, so they would spread too much, a mock orange, now that is looking good, the lilac only flowers for a short time...I think...oh this is so difficult, honeysuckle again would spread to much, its more upright I need ...Going to look up to see how tall a mock orange grows....Thanks folks

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 20:17:57 »
What about one of the Lavenders?  Or there is a beautiful Rosemary out now that has deep sky blue flowers called, I think, Bressingham Blue. Or a Daphne, Eleagnus?  I have the most gorgeous winter flowering honeysuckle, Lonicera fragrantissiam x purpussi, Knockout!! Happy choosing.  Lottie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 15:22:10 »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went for the mock orange...its planted up with a clematis...best of both worlds...just need it to flower now...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal