Author Topic: Margarine  (Read 5792 times)

Juliet

• Half Acre
Re: Margarine
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 22:08:33 »
Interesting topic.  I don't know anything about the chemistry involved, but I have read a bit about it from the nutrition side of things (as I have a disability which causes a wide range of food sensitivities).  So just thought I'd point out that for those people who want something with lower fat than butter or who are unable to tolerate dairy products, or who think butter gets too hard in the fridge  ::), a spread made from olive oil is the best option.  Unlike margarine, it's not hydrogenated, doesn't interfere with your body processing other oils (which margarine does, apparently), & it's good for you!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 22:30:59 »
I am so glad you told me that cos I was wondering if 'Olivio' or Bertolla  was ok?  I have eaten that for years now and wondered if it came under the heading of 'Margarine'

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 23:07:13 »
May i put my twopenny worth in when i was in the cardiac unit for 3wks 2years ago, i was told it was very good for me to eat BENECOL, this coming from a cardiologist, i also have BENECOL cholesterol yogurt drink my cholesterol is 4.
We also use only Olive Oil for any/all cooking.  If we took notice of everything we read surely we would be afraid to eat or drink anything.  I get lots of stick from my daughters for watching fat intake everyday, don`t  i Samantha ,she mocks me something wicked but i would like to see her cholesterol :D.
I was also told in hospital that the one thing to steer clear of above all others was HYDROGENATED in any food, it was said that it is hard lard heated to a temperature that turns it and it doesn't harden again its very cheap and nasty,and thats why it is the killer fat,it is in all cakes and biscuits and nearly everthing else just read the labels this week when you shop,just leave yourself an extra half hour to read your labels its a nightmare.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal