Author Topic: Conifer clippings as compost?  (Read 6521 times)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
Conifer clippings as compost?
« on: June 25, 2005, 20:40:13 »
Hi,

We have a large ugly leylandii hedge all down one size of our new garden.  Needless to say, as soon as we can spare the time it will be destroyed and the ground replaced with a 'proper' border.

This year seems unlikely as we have so many projects to complete so for now we will be clipping the monstrosity down to size with hedge trimmers. 

What I would like to know is, can we use the clippings (shredded) for compost or can we put it straight onto borders as mulch?  Or should be send the blasted stuff to the recycling skip at the tip?

There should be a ban on the evil things  >:(

Sand

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Conifer clippings as compost?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 22:42:02 »
Most conifers contain suppresants that stop other plants from growing, if you ever go into a pine forest you'll find the undergrowth extremely sparse for this very reason, so the answer is not to put it on as a mulch until it is very decomposed, about 2 years should do it

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 23:28:21 »
I agree with MT that it's not an ideal compost material. We have a long golden leylandii hedge, which gets trimmed annually - I use the trimmings as a weed-suppressant on areas I want to clear.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 10:16:17 »
I had a mega leylandii cut down and shredded some time ago.

The shreddings were composted (alone) for 2 years and then made an excellent soil conditioner (I used in potato trenches both under and over the tubers, with some blood, fish and bone) I had good clean crops

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal