Author Topic: What are the chances of that?  (Read 2967 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
What are the chances of that?
« on: June 23, 2005, 09:42:27 »
Yesterday teatime, my 4 yr old daughter appeared in the kitchen: "Mummy, there's a black bird in the toilet". I thought she was making it up, as only the smallest window was open and the blind fully closed. However, on investigation, there was indeed a black bird in the toilet - not just in the room, but actually down the toilet. And daughter had done a wee on it! I couldn't believe the whole situation and the bird looked very dead, so i admit to "leaving for OH to deal with".
Anyway, when he came home and got it out, it was actually a Swift, and still alive - although looking a bit poorly. But after a rest in a quiet room, OH held the bird at the window and out he flew and was met by 2 of his friends who flew off with him. Did they know he was missing? - had they been waiting for him? And what a contrast - from the wide open skies above Africa to the inside of someones toilet. Just glad daughter didn't flush!

sb

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: What are the chances of that?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:13:33 »
Ahhh what a shame, wonder how it managed to get into your toilet.  Glad it got away in the end.  I admire Swifts, Swallows and Martins greatly.  Think of the great distances they travel to get to this country to breed and then go all the way back again.  The Swifts only land to breed as well.  Marvellous birds!!!! 

:D :D :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 11:49:02 »
HAHAHAHA.  Oh the vision of your little girl doing a pee, then looking down the bowl to see a bird there.  I bet she  couldn't believe her eyes and I wonder what raced through her mind at that moment!  ;D  Glad the swift was okay.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 11:55:36 »
EJ - I was thinking that too!

Glad it was ok.

And I bet it was glad daughter didn't do something else!
gone to pot :D

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 13:48:44 »
Lucky bird.
 ;)
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 14:17:50 »
What else have you found in your toilet SB? Being in Africa, you must have an abundance of visitor's to your toilet... Reptiles, Spiders, A three inched Trillion legged something or other Pede, Bum biting insects, Birds, piranhas, etc.....
Do tell.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 14:54:00 »
No no Glyn, we live outside of London. It's the Swift that had just come from Africa. Don't they migrate from there to England in the Spring and then go back again later?

What amazes me is that she saw the bird and then wee'd on it. I'd have been worried about the possibility of it pecking my behind!

sb

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 14:58:21 »
she saw it first??? the mind boggles!
gone to pot :D

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 15:04:20 »
Sorry SB. Thought you were in darkest Africa. ;D
I bet that Swift is heading straight back to Africa. And has surely told all his friends. "If they don't like you in England, they pee on you"
;D ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 18:33:39 »
HAHAHAHA!  Oh now I am really laughing to think she saw it and pee'd on it anyhow!  Kids are just the best!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 22:58:51 »
we were in a shop selling kitchens and bathrooms  looking at a mirror to buy. Our son who was 4 at the time was looking around, he then went upstairs to another part of the shop while we were talking to the assistant. He then came back down as we were finishing off. I asked him where he had been he said to the toilet. I thought no surely not, so asked him where the toilet was, he said there are lots of them upstairs. He had used one of the display models which of course was not connected up. I then thought and said was it a wee or a poo and of course it had to be a poo. I did offer to sort it out but the assistant said he would deal with it. We have all had some laughs over this.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 23:06:32 »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 09:24:04 »
;D ;D ;D KIDS !!!!!!.........  they are brilliant when still unspoilt by the real world  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 12:08:14 »
Oh Sarah ! That is awful and I am quite relieved to read the bird was not dead.  I wonder how it survived in that loo ! ???

I live in a bungalow in the middle of nowhere and I always tend to pull down the seat cover on the loo.  We have had several birds and squirrels venture inside our kitchen whilst we were sat in the living room just yards away !  We feed the birds and maybe they think they live there !   ::)

Glad it all turned out allright ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 11:02:24 by Marianne »
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 23:32:46 »
It probably flew in the window, hit something and crashed, but I wonder why it would come in at all. Their legs are so short and their wings so long that if they land on anything flat they can't take off again and it would have been helpless. Could they possibly be nesting under your roof?

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 00:04:54 »
Are we talking the "European Swift" or the "African Swift"
;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal