Author Topic: Interplanting  (Read 5559 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Interplanting
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 23:32:29 »
Crop rotation...what crop rotation.......?  :-\

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 23:34:36 »
Shaolin - I always plant things a bit closer than it says on the packet - otherwise I'd run out of room. My corn are 12in apart. I had 16 in a square (until something ate three of them). I planted four courgettes in between in a big square. I hadn't actually thought about the leaves pushing the corn over - just assumed they'd come to a compromise. (I do rather tend to have a lazes fair (sp?) attitude towards my plants, hence the loss of so many to slugs, but generally they seem to get on fine with litlte interference from me, other than water!) Anyway - growing corn with (usually) squashes is an ancient Native American technique called the three sisters (the third being beans). There's been threads on here about that!

For info Aqui it is laissez faire.

Interplanitng is one of those things I am going to try next year - except for the lettuces I have between my runner bean canes.  (I saw someone else on the plot doing it)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 23:44:43 »
lettuces, salads and squashes fit anywhere in a rotation
It'll be better next year

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 08:08:47 »
again, using common sense as fa as possible. you can intercrop with things that don't mess up your rotation, like lettuces etc. or, if you do use a specific group, like radishes = brassicas, the effect should be negligable as it's a very short term crop. so it probably doesnt have much effect on the soil. (or so says joy larkcom)

that reminds me - should change my radish row to a new location. it's in the bean bed that will be brassicas next year so best move it along now....:)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal