Author Topic: BBQ recipes  (Read 3759 times)

wattapain

• Half Acre
BBQ recipes
« on: June 24, 2005, 09:01:20 »
Hi guys - anyone have any different recipes - hate the usual  stuff ie burgers/bangers/steaks. Quite like chicken though so I'm not completely anti meat - also fish & any veggie recipes would be nice.
Having people round Sunday and (weather permitting) gonna do a barbie. Should be OK here in Essex, seems we're gonna miss most of the rain ( might get some Sat) ::) : and Sunday's gonna be around 21 - great after this overbearing heat.   
any suggestions?   ;D ??? ;D
Terri  8) 8)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: BBQ recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:53:37 »
Only veggie ideas I am afraid:

Halloumi kebabs?

Thread alternate chunks of halloumi cheese, red pepper, whole mushrooms, (red) onion wedges, courgette slices etc onto kebab sticks. Brush with oil (or green/red pesto and grill.

Veggie Quorn kebabs?

Thread those Quorn 'swedish style balls' onto kebab sticks (alternate with vegetables if you wish). Brush with Aubergine pesto and grill.

OK, I'm hungry now...

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:03:13 »
last time i got my wok put it in the coals and built them around the sides, threw in in mussles, chillis, coconut milk, corriander, limes etc - on a thai theme - fantastic great starter/dip course.
make sure you've got a decent solid wok and be carful with the handle - gets v. hot!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 13:05:11 »
I love fish on the barby, sardines and mackeral, but I like them just drizzled with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. 
Lamb chops do great, marinaded for a bit in olive oil with has crushed mint leaves in it.  Kebabs are a firm fave, seafood ones with lovely big prawns, chunks of tuna and veggies, or of course sweet ones with hunks of banana, strawbs and apple is pretty good, with a choccy or fruity sauce to dip them in. 

Me, worship bangers on a barby, but they have to be top knotch spicey well flavoured meaty snags!

Check out this website for some ideas.

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 13:45:14 »
That is brilliant EJ. I have just past the url  on to my brother in law who has just bought himself a very posh BBQ set. He will be ecstatic at having over 550 recipes to try. Thanks.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 13:47:34 »
Thanks all for theideas , yes I like the fishy kebabs and also the halloumi cheese idea (I luurve halloumi cheese)
Good site that too EJ some great ideas there.
Well lets hope the forecast is right - good so far - we have the blessed wet stuff coming down in sheets as I type. Great to see it  htough ( as long as it stops for Sunday ;) ;D)
Terri

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 13:53:20 »
BL one of our faves, is Chicken n bacon wrapped banana kebabs.
Also did chicken n sesame kebabs last night which were YUM!
And steak n pawpaw kebabs with peppers in a yummy marinade is a firm favorite too!  OH OH and pork loin chinese style, and ribs, (the frozen ones from sainsburys are great, can't remember who makes them though)
If you need any of the sauces/marinades for above just let me know. Have a recipe for potatoe & onion parcels which is nice if you have the room to cook the veg on the grill too!

SpeedyMango, how do you stop the halloumi dropping off the skewers, always seems to for us which is a pain, do you use a skillet thing to cook them on?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 14:45:24 »
Doris - no, I grill them over the coals as usual.

Whether the cheese stays on seems to depend on the direction that you skewer the chunks - as the cheese usually seems to have been 'folded' into a block when it was made. I use  nice big chunks, and skewer across the 'folds' and it seems to stay on. I also use bamboo skewers, not metal ones, don't know if that makes a difference.

Oh, and handle very carefully when grilling!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 16:09:47 »
Thanks for that Speedy, we too use bamboo! (breaks into song, the old bamboo, the old bamboo.....................etc!)  Will give it another go then!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 19:22:29 »
EJ, thanks for that barbie site! Loads of lovely looking stuff to try, if the sun ever appears again! ::)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 20:37:23 »
Red pepper halves with feta cheese and pesto are yummy.  also spats (big ones) drizzled with orange juice.
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal