Author Topic: how to dry the honesty?  (Read 9287 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
how to dry the honesty?
« on: June 24, 2005, 00:35:34 »
Hi there,
I wonder how to dry the honesty plant that can be used as dry flower to put in the vase. Shall I leave it die down on the plant then cut it to use. ???or shall I cut the branches then hanged it up side down to dry. Which I did. Hanging in the washing line,leaving the main stalk to die down or dry itself ???Is that right? Please give any advice!
yuet

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: how to dry the honesty?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:02:15 »
:) Hi yuetlee I usually cut mine into manageable size branches, tie together as many as I can get into large paper bags ( if you don't have any I make them up out of a couple of sheets of newspaper) then hang upside down in my shed until dry. Usually a few weeks. The bags stop them being damaged & also catch any seeds that escape. They are then perfect for arrangements.  :) Hope this helps.  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 22:01:17 »
I got hold of the most lovely variagated, white honesty this season,  it's absolutely gorgeous. If just going for seed, is it best left on plant? Lottie

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 23:44:13 »
Thanks Marley :)
That's what I want it is for flower arrangement. Shall I keep any leave on it or not ???
Yuet

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
how to dry the honesty?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 01:29:17 »
Hiya Yuetlee,

if it was me, I would leave the honesty growing till it eventually dies back naturally itself. The leaves will disappear and the golden orbs will become more prominent.
This is the time to cut them and put them in paper bags or wrap them in newspaper to fully dry out. 

I have several planted at the base of trees across the road from my house.  The purple flowers bloomed and died back by the end of May.  At this time what will be golden circles are green circles as they grow.  In time they will mature and turn golden. Feel free to pick them as you need them. I just love releasing the seeds. It's like puncturing bubble wrap for relaxation and enjoyment.  And then you have plants for flower arranging. It's really quite a versatile plant, isn't it?

I love chestnut trees for the same reason. In the spring they have lovely blossums. In high summer they are beautifully shaped with wonderful green ness. Then in autumn they have the fabulous colours as the leaves drop. Plus the fruit of the nuts which I love collecting. Then the leaves are all gone and the sun which is low in the sky, can shine through.

Ciaran

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 02:02:17 »
thank you Ciaran,Thank you very much for your help :)
I love chest nut, specially for cooking :Pbut I cannot tell which is chest nut tree or congar tree ???But I'm scared to pick them because I may pick the wrong nuts that cannot eat ;D ;D
yuet

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
how to dry the honesty?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 03:39:11 »
Hiya Yuetlee,

I promised myself I'd go to bed by 3 am. Jesus, still here. I will be tired tomorrow!

A rough guide that I use. (My mrs. LOVES edible chestnuts)

I will call edible chestnuts Marron.

Chestnuts have a spikey, hard outside.
Marrons have a softer, fuzzier outside.
Where we live, chestnuts are by far the most common tree. Maybe 10,000 to 1. My wife buys marron in the supermarket, flown in from France. Or, she goes to an open air market and buys them by the kilo or two. She boils them up and eats them all (99% I have one or two).

I THINK, that chestnut trees have longer thinner leaves but not sure. I don't see that many marron trees to compare to.

My wife buys them with the outside already off...

Ciaran

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 14:54:41 »
 ;D If you want seeds cut branches & hang in bag to dry to catch the seeds  ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal