Author Topic: water level dropping  (Read 1980 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
water level dropping
« on: June 17, 2005, 16:02:43 »
What would be the normal rate of evaporation at this time of year? My pond has dropped almost down to the margin shelf again. I'm worried about taddies getting trapped and dying. Or worse - that my pond has sprung a leak. I only topped it up a week or two ago.
gone to pot :D

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: water level dropping
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:52:29 »
To be honest this whole evaporation lark has been baffling me for months ???.  Even to the point when after the level dropped by six inches overnight I was considering re-lining the whole pond again as I thought I had a leak!!!  I suspect that 6 inches probably equates to in excess of 100 litres in real terms for the surface area of my pond.  I refilled then and it has hardly dropped since apart from perhaps the odd centimetre here and there in particularly warm/windy spells.   I'm certain that the wind plays an equally signifcant part in water loss as temp does.  In fact come to think of it, my pond seems to lose more water when it's windy than it does when it's hot and still.

I've also heard Margaret mention a few times that if the pond is heavily planted with marginals then they can use up a lot of the water in particularly in warm conditions as well.

lol - I've not even answered your question!!!  In short I guess it depends on how big, how windy, how warm, how much planting and how big the surface area.  I've sort of got to know mine and will probably only worry only if it drops below anything it has done previously or if it drops when the prevailing weather conditions would suggest it shouldn't. 

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 13:30:38 »
Thanks Anthony - that's a relief!

I do have a fair amount of marginal planting. And the garden does tend to be rather windy. It's either that or all the animals that visit for a drink!

It was topped up a lot at the weekend and the taddies seem a lot happier now. Although the duck weed also seems to be enjoying the weather and has now almost covered the surface.

Trillium

• Quarter Acre
    • Trillium's garden
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 13:34:56 »
Hi,

Have you got any sort of pump going?  I had real problems with mine dropping for a couple of years and we traced it to the pads in the filter tipping up when it had been running for a few days and trickling water out of the back of the filter box. We had the flow rate a bit too high for the filter.

We've got a lot of marginals but ours only loses about an inch a week even in really hot weather.

Good luck anyway!

Trillium
My blog is www.trilliumsgarden.blogspot.com
If you're into weather, you can see my live weather station info at http://www.trilliumsgarden.co.uk/images/noname.htm

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 13:42:37 »
No Trillium - no pump. It's a natural pond (well, as natural as a man-made pond can be!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal